UKC

Absent friends

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 29 Oct 2012
Afternoon folks,
hope Monday finds you all well.

It is getting to that time of the year when I always seem to think more about mates that are no longer with us and feel a wee bit more sad about it all yet makes me thankful for what I have got and spurs me on to try and stop being a misery sometimes and generally try to be a better person!

Not one person in particular, mates that have lost their lives through the military, through illness (Dave Hooper recently), other people my wife knows that I hear about who are the same age if not younger than me that are going through horrible things and will end up leaving partners and young families behind, all very sad but I guess part and parcel of life.

Anyway, I always tend to think about it more coming towards Chrimbo, no idea why but always seems to happen and I'm glad as It always makes me remember them and gets my arse into gear to contact people I should do but always so "I'll do that tomorrow" but then before you know it, the year has gone!

So if you fancy sharing some comments about people you miss and think about, feel free to say so or not! It's always good to remember people that are no longer with us and the good times that were had but we always seem so busy that sometimes we don't take the time.

Anyway, here's to absent friends. (have an afternoon without child so am having a quiet pint and dram looking out at the sea reflecting on life :0)
Den
 climber_medic 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Denni: I very rarely post on this website but your post has hit a nerve somewhat!! Having lost a fantastic friend a few months ago which I havent really got over, and nearly touching the big 40 in a few weeks time I have decided to seize the day somewhat and do the stuff i've been talking about doing and not getting around to even though it might not see me financially better off in the future.

Time will tell. Seize the day and honour your friends!!
OP Denni 29 Oct 2012
In reply to climber_medic:

Sounds good mate and sorry to hear about your friend. I think we all lose sight sometimes that the most important thing in life is people, well to me anyway.

Also, the big 40, life begins then! I did the same sort of thing when I reached 40. Had 5 years left in the Forces (just about to commission) then decided I didn't want to spend loads of time away from the other half, wanted to have babies and be a stay at home dad. Did all that and haven't regretted it.

Took a fair whack of money away each month from us but you just have to sort it out and crack on.

Hope it all goes well :0)
 Caralynh 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Denni:
I'll join you in raising a glass. To my paternal grandparents - both died before their time over 16yrs ago now. The house I now live in is so similar to their country place - out in the sticks, oil heating and cesspit, surrounded by nature. They would have approved and loved it. Their flower was the daffodil, and when we moved in we planted daff bulbs all over the place in their memory.
OP Denni 29 Oct 2012
In reply to Caralynh:

House sounds fab, and it must bring a smile to your face when the daffs appear :0)

Good to remember.
sankster 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Denni: i have lost three friends to cancer, they were all aged between 18 and 31 when they died. Battles bravely fought, but terribly unfair. I live life to the full and have no regrets, and fully appreciate how lucky i am.
Here's to life, and those we meet along the way.
OP Denni 30 Oct 2012
In reply to sankster:

Sounds pretty dire mate, sorry to hear about that.

Good to hear however that you have a good outlook on life, too short and all that.
Ian Black 31 Oct 2012
In reply to Denni: This time of year is always an emotional time for me, and it's not just for those killed in action, but for a few that have survived many conflicts, struggled to settle into civilian life, and ended up taking their own lives. I always take time to reflect and be thankful...

Ian.
OP Denni 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Ian Black:

Hi Ian,
had a couple mates that struggled settling into civvy strasse for various reasons and they did the same, bloody shame and as they were my mates, I always thought I could have done more in terms of contact etc but that is the nature of life.

I'm sure we all sometimes think "ooh, should get in comms with that person" and sometimes it takes ages. I'm more proactive in doing that now.

In reply to Denni:

Hey you ya big old wee softie!!! "Wife" have you gotten yerself wedded?
Sx
Ian Black 01 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni: The Armed forces certainly didn't do enough in my day in terms of recognising and treating mental health issues, and once you'd served your purpose there was a good chance of being discarded with no support. All the best Denni.

Ian.
OP Denni 03 Nov 2012
In reply to La Shamster:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> Hey you ya big old wee softie!!! "Wife" have you gotten yerself wedded?
> Sx

Hi love! Yes, a big softie at heart as you know!
Wed, slipped that one in on the quiet, small affair, doing the right thing and all that. How is life with the Shamster? Hope life is treating you well xx

Removed User 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to La Shamster)
> [...]
>
>
>> ...... small affair,

What, already!? Tut tut

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...