UKC

Sleeping Bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
StuartMallan 30 Oct 2012
I am considering purchasing a second hand sleeping bag, but not sure if it is the genuine article or not! as the price seems a bit too good to be true and the actually sleeping bag seems to differ slightly to the images of this sleeping bag in the shops

I am planning on using it for a trek to Annapurna base camp in late December so would like to get everyones opinion.

The sleeping bag is a Mountain Hardwear Wraith SL.

See the dropbox link for the images of the bag

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bpvaqsj6o2223jp/dcUvqBvZaK

Indy 30 Oct 2012
In reply to StuartMallan:
Have you asked how old it is? Just a quick look online shows that its nothing MH have done in the past 5? years. My gut feeling is to leave well alone or get some sort of cast iron return guarantee if it does prove a wrong'un.

Can I ask a ball park figure for what there asking for it?
 Indy 30 Oct 2012

Just noticed.... in image 7 of 7 the stuff sack says "Wraith SL" looking online the bag clearly ISN'T a Wrath SL. (price £620!!!). The fabric looks too light a weigh and there aren't any storm flaps for the zips.

Its also strange that there doesn't appear to be any name on the actual bag only "Polarguard 30" which Google seems to think is a synthetic type insulation.

RUN!
StuartMallan 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Indy:

They are asking for £200 for the bag which in itself has raised many questions

But my real concern was exactly as you have said the fabric, the colour inside and there is no Wraith SL on the bag. I to thought the label at the bottom read "Polarguard 30" but it is actually Polargaurd 3D.
 Andy Manthorpe 30 Oct 2012
In reply to StuartMallan: You should be able to get a fairly decent sleeping bag for £200 new. If you add a silk liner and are prepared to wear clothes at the higher elevations on the Annapurna Base Camp trek, that should be warm enough.

Will you be camping or staying in lodges/tea houses ?

Andy
In reply to Andy Manthorpe: PS: I hired a locally made 4 season down bag in Kathmandhu, for about 35p a day when I went to Annapurna Base Camp in 1998. It was clean and warm. I know some people don't like this idea, but I had no issues with bed bugs etc.

PeterM 30 Oct 2012

It's not a wraith SL with a Mountain Hardwear Polarguard 3D Bag Expander?
http://www.everestgear.com/ou8021.html

And do the synthetics come with cotton bags? I thought it was just down bags? I'd ask the seller for further pics/proof -it could be a bargain...
StuartMallan 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

Hey Andy,

I will be staying in Tea Houses, I think you are 100% right that a bag in that price range with a liner will be more that adequate even at the higher elevations.

I think I was just tempted by the Wraith bag because of the price and the chance to resell, but if it aint the genuine article and it older than me then there is no chance of that!!

I was looking at the Rab Ascent 700 - 900 range and the Alpkit SH600 - 800 range.
In reply to StuartMallan: Hi Stuart.

It may also be worth looking at the Alpkit PD600. It is a slightly better spec in my opinion than the SH range.

I have a PD400, which I think is very good, but not for the ABC trek as it is too light.

Andy
 Indy 30 Oct 2012
In reply to PeterM:

Sorry was having a bit of mid-afternoon thickness.... wheres my coffee

Have to say I'm still deeply suspicious. The bag shown isn't a Wraith SL which the seller seems to be claiming is with the image of a Wraith stuff sack. Also judging by the genuine articles thickness whats shown probably isn't even an older version of it.

don't want be a downer on this but I know that there have been times when I've come across a fantastic deal... a bit too fantastic and nearly gone through with it because I just really really wanted the item. it sort of blinds you. By all means check it out further but keep your wits about you as this kit is about £750 new so £200 would be a real bargain.
 PeterM 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Indy:

I think you're right. The Polarguard 3d appears to be on the bag not the expander if that is what is being shown..at least as far as I can make out. I'd probably avoid unless the orginal ad has other details..
StuartMallan 30 Oct 2012

From looking at this website I think the sleeping bag is actually a Mountain Hardwear 3rd demension 0 degrees bag!!! Not a Wraith SL

http://coldweathersleepingbags.biz/2012/09/11/mountain-hardware-dimension-s...

To many similarities to the dropbox photos of the bag for sale

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bpvaqsj6o2223jp/dcUvqBvZaK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...