UKC

Bar/Club/PR work

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 08 Nov 2012
Apologies if this is a bit of a ramble, my mind has been fried by job websites.

In the next couple of weeks I will have finished my PhD (hurrah!). Unfortunately, as is a common complaint these days, the job market is poor, and I haven't got anything permanent lined up or even close. Christmas is coming, and my savings are slowly bleeding dry.

I need a job that I can start with minimal if any training, will pay at least minimum wage, won't consume all my time and I won't feel hugely guilty about leaving if/when something more permanent comes along. I've been thinking about working in the bar/club/PR area. There must be more than a few people on here who have worked in bars and clubs, I'm just wondering if they could answer a few quick questions?

1) Are these online application forms on club websites a waste of time? I sent a few of them away years ago and never heard a thing back, am I best phoning or handing a CV in in person?
2) Speaking of CVs, I have a degree and nearly a PhD in a technical science based subject, should I include this? I'm pretty sure a PR manager won't give a toss about my research, so how can I say what I've been doing over the last few years without soundling like a ponce?
3)Out of bar staff, glass collecting, leafleting/PR etc. what's the best to go for? I quite like the idea of PR (out and about, doing the rounds in different pubs) rather than being in a bar, but is there usually a heirarchy in terms of pay and hours on offer?
4) The sum total of my bar experience is one shift in a nightclub, after which I went on holiday, then wrecked my leg in a MTB accident, then started my PhD, so I couldnt go back (quite enjoyed it though). Am I likely to go straight to the bottom of the pile?

I'd really appreciate help with the above, it may seem trivial to some but I'm skint and need to find something ASAP.

Edradour 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Taurig:

> will pay at least minimum wage,

Brilliant!

I did five years in the hospitality industry and ended up running a couple of pubs. Had a great time. I'm afraid I can't answer any of the PR questions but from a pub point of view:

1. Go in and ask if there are jobs going. Most won't need a CV as they are pretty casual and there is a high turnover.

2. You probably won't need a CV but include it if you want but bear in mind it won't help you get the job. It used to annoy the hell out of me when people thought they were 'better' than this type of work and, therefore, I wouldn't employ them. You can tell pretty much straight away on meeting someone if this is the case. Similarly, most managers will appreciate this isn't a career choice and won't be too arsed if you leave after a couple of months.

3. I'm assuming that since you've got a PHD you're over 18 (or some kind of genius) and, therefore, wouldn't bother with glass collecting. Very few places employ these exclusively anyway and if they do it is usually for under 18s. If you get bar work then you'll do glass collecting, stocking up, washing up etc and may even get dragged into the kitchen from time to time for menial KP jobs. It's not glamourous work! Hours available will depend on what they're looking for, most pubs/clubs will either take on more staff or give their own staff more shifts in the run up to christmas and over new year. Be honest when you're applying - if you want 40+ hours a week then tell them. Many smaller pubs won't have any full time bar staff other than the manager and probably a deputy / supervisor (a little bit more money).

4. Yes but it's not hard so you'll rise to the 'top' of the pile pretty quickly, probably when you're not the newest anymore. As i say it isn't glamourous so don't worry too much about this aspect of it.

I loved my time in bars. It's hard work but great fun if you get a decent pub.
 annieman 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Taurig: Couple of suggestions

The Post Office are recruiting now for December. Sorting Xmas mail, it's mind numbing, will finish at Christmas. The only hoops are proving your identity and allowed to work in UK.

Also FREEINDEX webside has specific sections for the type of work that youare interested in.

Good luck
 sargy 08 Nov 2012
I worked as a waiter in a local Centerparcs restaurant whilst at Uni. I actually really enjoyed it, and loved interacting with the guests. I was on minimum wage, but the tips easily pushed up my hourly earnings to about £15, which worked out as an average of up to £30000pa!
 EeeByGum 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Taurig: I would say that popping in and simply asking if there is any work is the best way forward. It takes a bit of courage but it will likely yield quicker results than sending letters or emails. I am not sure if I would want to do PR. Handing out fliers isn't exactly challenging, but working behind a busy bar can give you quite a buzz and is quite mentally stimulating.

Oh - and don't let on about it being a stop gap job.
 Jaffacake 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Taurig:

Working in a bar can be quite good fun, you get to chat to people and have a laugh.

I don't think I've ever given my CV for a bar job, always just went in and asked.
Cthulhu 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Taurig:

Sainsbury's are also recruiting seasonal staff, full- or part-time, for the Christmas period. There are posters up in my local branches. I would assume most supermarkets/Argos/IKEA will be doing something similar.
OP Taurig 08 Nov 2012
Thanks for the replies, especially Fickalli, that was most helpful. I know what you mean about people coming across as thinking they are better than the job. I'm of the opinion that a degree doesn't give you an entitlement to anything other than saying you've earned a degree, and if the circumstances dictate then no-one is above any job. I'd just like that to come across, but probably if I go in in person and ask it won't matter.

I phoned up a conference centre today as I had heard years ago they offered bar work at concerts with very flexible shifts. They were very helpful but told me a) they weren't recruiting until at least January and b) I would have to be trained in or provide a Personal Liquor Licence. Might be a problem, I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_licensing_laws_of_the_United_Kingdom#P...

Good call above about the Post Office, I'm going to look into that as well. Supermarkets, ooft, only if Im desperate. Worked in one for a good few years through school and uni and I'd much rather try something different if I can.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...