UKC

Guided Morocco ice climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 whippletom 10 Nov 2012
I'm possibly going to be heading down with the family to Morocco in January. I've always been enticed by the absurdity of ice climbing in Africa, but my wife and father in law are oddly less enticed.

I'd love to work in a day trip but have no idea how feasible that is - not least because I'd need to find someone to climb with. Anyone know of anyone at all guiding out there? Preferably who won't kill me...
 THE.WALRUS 10 Nov 2012
In reply to whippletom:

You'll struggle to do any ice climbing on a day trip. The most accesible ice climbing can be found near to the Lepiney and Toubkal refuges - both of which are a days walk from the nearest trail head.

As far as I know, there aren't any road side venues....although you could try the ski area at Oukaimeden.

You could slog up and down Toubkal in 2 days at a push...
OP whippletom 11 Nov 2012
In reply to THE.WALRUS: Ah...I suspected as much. Looks like it's the cookery course for me with the rest of them instead. Incidentally, how reliable is the ice in the Atlas? I would love a trip there sometime, but not if it's something that's fairly ephemeral and you can't plan.
 THE.WALRUS 11 Nov 2012
In reply to whippletom:

Pretty reliable - but, from my experiences of Morocco, it's more of a mixed climbing venue.....think highly reliable Scottish-esq conditions..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...