UKC

Ignoring fault for a moment.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby_W 19 Nov 2012
On the other thread people gave some very sensible advice about basically it not making a difference if you have right of way etc as a cyclist as you'll always come off worse.
I've seen similar to the following before but thought everyone might find it both interesting and useful.

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

Cheers

Toby
 yeti 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby_W:
very interesting, though i cycle assuming they're out to get me...

i also occasionaly ride a motorcycle and drive a white van

so half the drivers hate me anyway

beats me how the most vulnerable in an accident often take least care,

like pedestrians walking out in the road whilst reading
 wilkesley 19 Nov 2012
In reply to yeti:

From a cyclists POV, I think he missed one important point: "Try and establish eye contact with the driver". This especially applies at roundabouts and junctions. If I can't establish eye contact, I assume that the driver is "almost certain" to try and flatten me, rather just "very likely to".
 cliff shasby 19 Nov 2012
In reply to wilkesley: exactly,thats why i hate"privacy glass"coz u cant see their faces...
Removed User 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby_W:
After reading many threads on here and elsewhere I particularly liked I particularly liked this quote from the author in th comments section

"A little more humility on the roads, from ALL users, would go a long way…"

Very good article with lessons to be learnt whether I'm in the car or on the bike. Cheers for that Toby.

ChrisJD 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby_W:

Interesting stuff.

I've certainly had a few "where the **** did that come from" moments at junctions even after looking, though thankfully none ever leading to any harm.
 nniff 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby_W:

The cycling club I belong to circulated this last week and it reinforces my preferred role as mobile Xmas tree, day or night.

What it touches on only very briefly (move your head or you're dead) is the thing that nearly got me last week - that two objects on a collsion course will remain on the same relative bearing to each other. In other words, a cyclist concealed by an A-pillar will remain concealed until he flies over the bonnet. Which explains why the passenger in a car entering a roundabout was shouting 'Cyclist!' but the driver was oblivious. Still, no real harm done, bar a bit of rubber and a few more of life's heartbeats used up.
 Martin W 19 Nov 2012
In reply to cliff shasby:
> (In reply to wilkesley) exactly,thats why i hate"privacy glass"coz u cant see their faces...

If they have privacy glass on the front windows then they're breaking the law anyway and it is best to assume to that they are likely to be a homicidal tw@t into the bargain.
 wilkesley 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin W:
> (In reply to cliff shasby)
> [...]
>
> If they have privacy glass on the front windows then they're breaking the law anyway and it is best to assume to that they are likely to be a homicidal tw@t into the bargain.

Ah, but they might be back seat drivers
In reply to wilkesley:
> (In reply to yeti)
>
> From a cyclists POV, I think he missed one important point: "Try and establish eye contact with the driver". This especially applies at roundabouts and junctions. If I can't establish eye contact, I assume that the driver is "almost certain" to try and flatten me, rather just "very likely to".

Many years ago I was heading in to work and was approaching a junction with a van approaching on the road from the left. I had right of way. I made eye contact with the driver for a good few seconds, then he pulled out in to my side. Fortunately I was in a white car with main lights on.

So even eye contact with the driver of a vehicle isn't enough for some people.

Neither of us was hurt, The other driver admitted responsibility.

ALC

girlymonkey 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Toby_W:
Really interesting article, thanks for that. I have just posted it on Facebook too, it seems worth circulating.
 ChrisJD 19 Nov 2012
In reply to girlymonkey:

I did the same - let's hope it goes viral big time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...