UKC

what does this mean?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 20 Nov 2012
Browsing a French guidebook I came across the phrase "en chantier" applied to a number of pitches. Anyone clarify the meaning please?
 DaveHK 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Google Translate offers 'starts'
OP Rog Wilko 20 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK: yes, I found that, but it makes no sense.
 DaveHK 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Context is everything. What's the full sentence?

Perhaps French Erick will be along soon.
 jon 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It depends on the context of course, but it would normally mean that the route isn't finished. Sort of 'work in progress'.
 Mark Bull 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Chantier means a building site, but has a colloquial meaning of "a mess" (see http://french.about.com/od/vocabulary/g/chantier.htm ), so I guess scrappy/loose/chossy might be a plausible translation in this context.
 French Erick 20 Nov 2012
In reply to DaveHK:
either they're in the process of equiping the crag (bolts...) or they're working on loose stuff and cleaning it (less likely).

If it was a project they've used the same word (projet) but could it be some locals' way of keeping people out
OP Rog Wilko 20 Nov 2012
In reply to French Erick: I thought I recalled seeing the word chantier relating to road works, so both the suggestions made could make sense. So if it means chossy, probably it still will be, but if it means being developed then it should be sorted by now (8 yr old guidebook). Thanks for the suggestions one and all.
 jon 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Here you go Rog, always hung on the first bolt of an unfinished route:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75247957@N03/8203130899/
 Cheese Monkey 20 Nov 2012
In reply to Rog Wilko: I have just asked our Resident French person and she says it roughly means started but not finished, there is no real direct English translation
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Nov 2012
In reply to Cheese Monkey:
> I have just asked our Resident French person and she says it roughly means started but not finished, there is no real direct English translation

"work in progress"?

Chris
 Offwidth 22 Nov 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:

WiP, wip or WIP. English evolves with use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...