UKC

Top tips for the mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lukem6 21 Nov 2012
what are your top tips for heading from the comfort of the Peak and in to the mountains?

kwoods 21 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610: Seems a bit too general. Where do you want to go, what do you want to do, just mountain walking or climbing?

I've found making mountain travel comfortable, or at least bearable, at this time of year, takes some tactical planning and personal discipline. But a 3-day winter through-route across the Scottish hinterlands is a lot different to an hour's walk into to the mountain crag.
 d_b 21 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610:

For mountains in general: Wear sensible clothes and make sure you have navigation nailed.

For climbing specifically: Get good at fast changeovers at belays.

and for winter: Learn basic winter skills. It doesn't have to be a course and it doesn't necessarily take long but they are important.
Tim Chappell 21 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610:

My Top Tips would be (1) remember the Tunnock's Caramel Wafers and (2) don't take Birdie Num Num.
 toad 21 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610: Trust me, I've had a day in the Dark Peak today, and there was nothing comfortable about it.
 mcdougal 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610:

It sounds obvious but the hills are bigger. Really take note of the number of contour lines while planning your route. Once you've gained height it's best to stay high till you're ready to head back to the car.
I did lots in the Peak before visiting the Lakes and my 1st attempt at planning a day there included an unnecessary jaunt to the bottom of Eskdale. It could have cost 4 hours or so if good visibility hadn't shown me just how big mountain valleys are compared to those in the Peak.
 mcdougal 22 Nov 2012
In reply to mcdougal:

Only just noticed that this is a climbing and not a walking thread. Same advice: routes are longer too!
 AndyE9 22 Nov 2012
more quick draws a few sling draws .. and a few extra slings for belays hanging and otherwise ..

thats my top tip of the day ..

Monk 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610:

If you are talking about climbing on rock, then I think the only major differences are that the walk-ins are longer (so it's worth trimming all the luxuries and extras off your rack but taking a waterproof if the weather looks iffy, as it is further back to the car), the routes will be multipitch and you may need to climb with a sac on.

Multipitch isn't really any different to single pitch, but you might find that you need a few more quickdraws (particularly long ones and slings) and some more nuts (remember that they will be used in belays, so won't be available for the next pitch). It's a good idea to take a headtorch and a knowledge of how to get off the top of your route (a map and knowledge of how to use it can be handy on some crags, but not always necessary). Remember to take some snacks and drinks for belays on long routes, and a jacket.

The other thing that is different on mountain routes is that route finding is a useful skill - but don't get too hung up on the minutiae. Follow the obvious line that feels right for the grade, taking note of the obvious features. On popular routes, just follow the polish/clean rock.

In nice weather, I don't really think there are any differences between mountain routes and valley routes. It's when the weather is less favourable that things start to feel different.
 GrahamD 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610:

Get out of bed early. Everything else is a lot less stressful if you've given yourself time.
 thomaspomfrett 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610: Compared to the peak I'd agree one of the significant differences is a bigger rack (particularly backing up your nuts). I've had a few occasions near the top of 40-50m pitches where my choice of protection is starting to look a little thin on the ground...
 dale1968 22 Nov 2012
In reply to thomaspomfrett: teah, don't wear high heels, chafe something rotten
 Bert 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610: Comfortable footwear, good layering (clothing) and early start
 Jon Stewart 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610:

Wait 'til summer. (Of course, some would say 'wait 'til winter.)
andic 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610:

different rock: more nuts, fewer cams.

lower your grade expectations a little until you are used to the increased exposure, new rock, more committing situations, physical exertion/route length.....
 yer maw 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610: Fast and Light, but with enough essentials to survive the cold, and great navigation. Hunger can be survived, cold can't!
 Rich W Parker 22 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610:

Hello Im610 Dude.

Do the manual labour quickly, and do the technical stuff slowly but steadily.
 scottie390 22 Nov 2012
Davie Scott's top tip, where you go isn't nearly as important as who you go with
 EeeByGum 23 Nov 2012
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to lm610) Trust me, I've had a day in the Dark Peak today, and there was nothing comfortable about it.

I disagree. There are numerous pubs and cafes that are very comfortable.
In reply to GrahamD:

Totally agree. Good rule of thumb (for anything at all serious) is to be at the start of the difficulties around dawn and at the high point between noon and 2 pm. Never does any harm to get back with plenty of daylight to spare (and be able to relax with a beer etc!). Conversely, getting behind schedule can be (and often is) a nightmare, with the emphasis on night!
 Jonny2vests 23 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610:

Avoid cotton.
If you're overnighting, buy a food dehydrator (cheap, and homemade dried food is way better than expensive dried food)
Learn to lead climb in approach shoes
Be anal about weight
Get up early
 Tim_C7 23 Nov 2012
In reply to lm610:

Another vote for get up early, almost always reduces stress (especially in the alps.) In places like Wales it can help to avoid crowds (e.g. Idwal Slabs)
Begging for more 24 Nov 2012
In reply to Tim_C7: Be ready to leave before sunrise, and take a dump before leaving camp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...