UKC

Costing up features for a climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 06 Dec 2012
I'm putting together some rough estimates for the cost of a series of potential upgrades for a climbing wall and was looking for a bit of input:

Assuming we build a load of volumes from 2440x1220x18mm ply with corners reinforced with 50x47 sawn timber and t-nuts on a 150mm grid I get a rough material cost of £15-20 per square meter of climbable surface. We already own all the holds and their associated fixings, but would need to factor in the cost of treating and finishing it.

Firstly does this seem sensible, secondly if you were paying someone to do this sort of job what would you expect to pay? My best guess at the moment is to estimate how long the job would take me and then halve it for a competant chippy Not sure on sizes or shapes yet but I just wanted a rough figure to take along to discuss.

Cheers

Mike
OP Reach>Talent 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Reach>Talent:
Also I'd be interested in any constructive critisism of using a couple of bolt hangers bolted to the t-nuts as a method of hoisting the volumes.

Cheers

Mike
I think it might be prudent to get a few BigHead fixings to use instead of std Tnuts as lifting points on bigger volumes - much broader washer on the back means less likely to pull through.

Have fun
OP Reach>Talent 06 Dec 2012
In reply to creaky_uncle_nick:
Cheers, they look a bit more solid than the bog standard t-nuts.
 Kevster 06 Dec 2012

Might not work for your bigger volumes, I thread a couple of 4-5mm cord through two bolt holes and us that to lift the volume, once screwed in place, untie and pull out (have one for redundancy if your concerned). The T nut issue - if you are happy to swing yourself off it once fixed in place, then surely it'd take the weight of the volume being hoisted? I assume the volume will weigh less than 13-14 stone? (not a direct guess at your weight there MK)

kev.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...