UKC

How cold (or warm) is it where you are today?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 13 Dec 2012
As title, really - how cold is it where you are?

I reckon coldest will be either Minneconjou Sioux in Canada, TobyA in Finland, or someone posting from Antarctica (if anyone's overwintering). Warmest is likely to be KieranB in the Dominican Republic.

Here in Skipton it's -3.

Over to you!
 Ramblin dave 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> As title, really - how cold is it where you are?
>
> I reckon coldest will be either Minneconjou Sioux in Canada, TobyA in Finland, or someone posting from Antarctica (if anyone's overwintering).

Summer down there - it's barely any colder than Cambridge!

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/

hokkyokusei 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Saltaire -3
 Steve John B 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Is skiving off on the internet as much fun when you work for yourself?!

Here in an office in Bradford it's 75 degrees in old money, too damn hot. Not so bad outside now the freezing fog's naffed off.
OP Tall Clare 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:

D'oh - I'm a moron. Sorry about that!
In reply to Steve John B:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) Is skiving off on the internet as much fun when you work for yourself?!
>

I'm dipping in and out of a huge pile of articles about supply chain logistics - you decide
 Pyreneenemec 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> Here in Skipton it's -3.
>
> Over to you!

I do love Skipton ! You can buy incedibly good pork-pies in a little butchers shop, just down from the castle ! Everytime I visit family in the UK, my daughter insists on a day-out to Skipton, for the market and pork-pies !

Here, it's 6°C !

Andy Hardy 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

About -1C in Stockport. Lovely and sunny though.
 john arran 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

8 deg C here in Ariège. A bit chilly for my liking as it's cloudy this afternoon. Yesterday was colder but sunny so was happily climbing in a t-shirt all day.
 owlart 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: A positively tropical +4C here on the south coast! Mind you, it doesn't feel much more than that here in the office/shop either
 MargieB 13 Dec 2012
In reply to owlart: It was -9.5 last night in the Highlands. Not as cold tonight.
 Kimono 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Actually Clare, winter is very much here in Cabarete and there is a bit of a nip in the air this morning....it is probably only around 23C for now but will no doubt warm up a bit later.

One of my yoga students insisted on keeping her socks on this morning as she claimed her feet were like ice...bless
In reply to kieran b:

Hah! You'll struggle to find much sympathy here. I've had to balance a cat on my knees to warm them up.
Removed User 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

- 17 C this morning, up nicely from -24 yesterday. Great fun when bundling 2 kids into the car in the dark for the school run.......
 Blue Straggler 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Thermometer on Electra(*) the Vectra said -5 deg C in the East Midlands at 8.15 this morning but I think Vauxhall thermometers always read low. Ambient temp didn't feel anywhere near as low as that and the windscreen was easy to scrape (or is that a humidity thing? It read -1.5 the other day but it was harder work to clear the windscreen).

* her twin sister Iphigenia has absconded to Tauris...
In reply to Removed User:

Brrrr...
In reply to Tall Clare: Here in Warrington it's a bit nippy. I may put a jumper on later.

T.
 Liam M 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: It was about -3/4 when I ran in this morning (Leeds) and as it's still froggy I'm not convinced it is currently any warmer.

It's made to feel positively tropical though by a friend in Astana who is reporting temperatures nudging toward -50!
 Dave 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

-4.1 right now, and that's in Turku, Finland, though its also snowing very nicely yet again. Toby might have it colder over in Helsinki (checked, marginally.. -5.3)
In reply to Liam M:

Where's Astana?
 Frank4short 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: According to the local road weather station, closest accurate weather reading I can get, it's a balmy 3.8C here in sunny Dublin.
In reply to Tall Clare:

Capital of Kazakhstan I think - one of the former soviet republics anyway.

ALC
 Stuart S 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

+2.9C in the middle of the North Sea just now.
Pennine 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Down in Shipley it's been misty all day so probably similar to you. Car hasn't defrosted and the canal is covered in ice
In reply to Stuart S:

I do hope you're not in a rubber dinghy - or, worse, on a lilo blown out from Scarborough beach.
 Carless 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

-2 today... forecast +8 tomorrow

gonna have to adjust the cycling gear
James Jackson 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

North Germany. It's been below zero all day, now floating around -4. We've had lots of snow on the ground all week. This being the continent, the world has not ground to a halt and everything carries on as usual. The joys of winter tyres and road management!
 Steve John B 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to kieran b)
>
> Hah! You'll struggle to find much sympathy here. I've had to balance a cat on my knees to warm them up.

Ours just sit on the radiator when they get cold.

Pyreneenemec 13 Dec 2012
In reply to James Jackson:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> North Germany. It's been below zero all day, now floating around -4. We've had lots of snow on the ground all week. This being the continent, the world has not ground to a halt and everything carries on as usual. The joys of winter tyres and road management!

I wouldn't include France in your calculations ! Even a few cm's of snow causes untold havoc here !
Douglas Griffin 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Stuart S:

> +2.9C in the middle of the North Sea just now.

I hope that temperature element was calibrated.

In reply to Steve John B:

The cat was warm - it was my knees that were cold.
 Kimono 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to kieran b)
>
> Hah! You'll struggle to find much sympathy here. I've had to balance a cat on my knees to warm them up.

They really do get you warm cats, dont they?
So much so that my cat was hardly cuddled all summer...last thing you want on your lap when its 35C and very sweaty. He's very happy now that winter's here
 jimtitt 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
-17°C down the road last night and 6 inches of snow, welcome to Bavaria!
 verygneiss 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

-4 in Inverness this morning (06:40), -7 somewhere between Tore and Conon Bridge (07:20), -6 in Dingwall, then about -1 all the way to Fort Bill. Back in Dingwall at 15:00 it was -2. Not bad for working in, as there wasn't too much wind.
 malky_c 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: about -3 in Inverness. Wife had -10 down in Aviemore earlier on.
In reply to jimtitt:

You're winning at the moment!
 ebygomm 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Thermometer on Electra(*) the Vectra said -5 deg C in the East Midlands at 8.15

Sounds about right, my car thermometer read -6 at 7:58 this morning, Watnall weather station down the road was -5.4 at 8am (coldest point of the day too)

jimtitt 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to jimtitt)
>
> You're winning at the moment!

Bit of a cold snap around at the moment, -17 in Augsburg and -22 in a few places around in Bayern, the farmer down the road from me got -19. The forecast is for warm and rain on the weekend, should be interesting on top of the snow and permafrost.
Getting through a lot of firewood!

martinph78 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: -4 in Durham at 5pm, given up trying to bleed my brakes until tomorrow!

jules699 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: Probably a nice 30 (?) in the radox herbal bath I've just had. Bliss.....
 sbc_10 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Minus 4.5 in Harrogate at the mo. Freezing fog and some dog pee is presenting a slip hazard on the path outside my house. There is a stillness in the hanging thick air.....
 Helen R 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

..and coming in from the southern hemisphere....

It's about 19 here in Auckland, but it's only 8.30 am. Hoping for a nice pleasant 24 today according to the forecast. Summer is here but in December the humidity hasn't quite got here yet. Lovely.
Removed User 13 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Tall Clare)

> Thermometer on Electra(*) the Vectra said -5 deg C in the East Midlands at 8.15 this morning but I think Vauxhall thermometers always read low. <

mine was -7 around 4.30 this morning but gave a Gallic shrug as it told me
 Billy the fish 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: It's still T-shirt weather here in the north east.
 Toby S 13 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

It was -6 when I left for work this morning in Inverness. It was still dark and I cycled in trying to avoid patches of ice. Fecking pointless considering the amount of snow that fell just before I went home this evening! Trying to cycle home through snow on skinny tyres was not fun!
 malky_c 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Toby S: What side of town do you live on? On my way home to Culloden, I overtook a guy on the cyclepath at the Raigmore Interchange who was clearly taking it slowly because he had skinny tyres. Personally I love cycling in the snow (but not ice).
KevinD 14 Dec 2012
In reply to malky_c:

its warm here in herts.
Pissing down but warm enough.
 Blue Straggler 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to jimtitt)
>
> You're winning at the moment!

Oo is it a competition?
 Dave C 14 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: I'm not saying anything......
OP Tall Clare 14 Dec 2012

Yes!
 ring ouzel 14 Dec 2012
In reply to malky_c: Toby lives in one of the posher parts of Inverness, dont ask me where as I can never remember the area.

In Avoch this morning it was about -1. I live right at sea level so it would have been noticeably colder up the hill in the middle of the Black Isle. Went for a run this morning in the snow at 0615, there was still snow lying on the beach. Beaches with snow just look weird!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...