UKC

PS3: FPS online deathmatch suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 22 Dec 2012
It's that time of year again, goodwill to all men and all that. So, I'm after some deathmatch inspiration. I got a PS3 earlier this year and, having moved from PCs (Doom, Quake and Unreal Tournament) I obviously bought Unreal Tournament for the PS3.

Really good game but I was hoping for a better online experience; Unreal Tournament for the PC, despite its age, seems to have a good following online and you can easily find well-populated deathmatch servers. This is not the case with the PS3 version which musters about 3 poorly peopled servers when you search.

I guess it just doesn't have the same following amongst console users. I haven't played any of the Call of Duty games but understand these have deathmatch modes and I was hoping they might therefore be far better supported by way of busy servers.

So, any suggestions for the best deathmatch CoD title or anything else I should have a look at?

Thanks!
 Kyle Warlow 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs:

Im playing CoD: Black Ops II online as I type this (between matches). There's a number of different game modes you can play, and all are pretty good. Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Free for All.... etc. And the servers generally good. Great for killing a few hours when the weather is pants. Which it is now! If you get it, let me know. More than happy to shot you in face or stick a grenade to you sometime :-p
Happy shooting,

K
 anonymouse 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs:
Second vote for Call of Duty Black Ops 2 (though there are no dedicated servers for PS3). Battlefield 3 is popular too and has added vehicular madness. CoDbo is easier to pick up and play. BF3 is annoying at first because the weapons you unlock early on are cack, so the better more experienced players also have the better weapons.
 Jep_uk 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs:

No dedicated severs as mentioned on CoDs, they operate on P2P. There are plenty online to play against on CoD, however the game search is a bit funny, I have it to find the best connection for games but somehow I still get a lot of foreign speaking lobbies which is crap.

Also the lag compensation cam royally screw you over, also there are plenty of BS moments which the lag creates.

On PS3 theres Ghost recon, battlefield 3, medal of honour, Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 which are probably the most played shooters.
 itsThere 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs: dont know if you can get counter strike for PS3 or maybe team fortress.
 Kyle Warlow 22 Dec 2012
In reply to Jep_uk:
> (In reply to ksjs)
>
> No dedicated severs as mentioned on CoDs, they operate on P2P.

Thats what I meant. Honest.

BarmyAlex118 22 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs: I Would recommend BF3 and the battlefeild games
There far Superior to Cod in every way possible
 anonymouse 22 Dec 2012
In reply to BarmyAlex118:
> (In reply to ksjs) I Would recommend BF3 and the battlefeild games
> There far Superior to Cod in every way possible

They're different, that's all.
OP ksjs 23 Dec 2012
In reply to K.W.: Thanks for the kind sentiments - very happy for you to shoot me in the face anytime

I take it Free for All is every man for himself as in classic deathmatch? I've never really got into capture the flag but think this is something I need to try a bit more. I've never tried team deathmatch, got to be worth a go.
OP ksjs 23 Dec 2012
In reply to Jep_uk: How come no dedicated servers for CoD on PS3, sounds a bit weird?

When you say "There are plenty online to play against on CoD", how is this possible if there are no servers?

Will have a look at the other titles you mention.
OP ksjs 23 Dec 2012
In reply to BarmyAlex118: How are they superior?
 Kyle Warlow 23 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs:

Free for All is everyman for themselves, as you said. Team deathmatch is the game of choice for the majority on CoD as Free for All is difficult to win. Some people take the game quite serious and are pretty good. Easier to win as a team.

When a match is put together, say with 12 players, the person with the most suitable connection is chosen as the 'host' of the match. I think thats what they mean by no servers. There's generally 500,000+ playing CoD at any given time around the world so you'll always get a game.
 Reach>Talent 23 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs:
Battlefield 3 is definitely the way forward. Huge number of players with a wide range of abilities and really good gameplay. Some of the best designed maps I have seen and I have wasted a lot of time on FPS and strategy games!

Jep_uk 23 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs:

Because activision are cheap b*****ds they won't put dedicated servers on for non pc versions of CoD. PS3 and Xbox version work on P2P technology; for this activision have matchmaking servers which help you find a match (but doesnt host the match), then one of the players is chosen as host, this host then runs the game as the server. It's a good idea but dedi's would be far better as the dedicated server is a pc somewhere which hosts the game which people connect too.

Kill confirmed is a good mode, basically it's team death match but when they die they drop dog tags which you or your team need to pick up for points. Stops some camping and helps you rank up quicker than TDM.
OP ksjs 26 Dec 2012
In reply to K.W.:
> (In reply to ksjs)
>
> Free for All is everyman for themselves, as you said. Team deathmatch is the game of choice for the majority on CoD as Free for All is difficult to win.

Cheers for post - difficult is what I'm looking for so will see if I can get my hands on a copy and go from there...
OP ksjs 26 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs: Just been having a look at Metacritic and it seems that many users really don't rate the more recent CoD titles while Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 2 Bad Company in particular score well. Maybe mkean is right?
 itsThere 26 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs: CoD is for 12 year olds who cant play as a team. you also dont need a dedicated server for 16 players. when you play as a team BF 2 with 64 people on the map its way more fun, my pc cant run BF3 so i dont know. in bf2 you got lots of mini battles going on, waiting for help can take a diff amount of time. not the same set time every time with a chopper gunning everyone down which makes it very different to CoD. more dynamic gameplay. oh and you can fly planes
 anonymouse 27 Dec 2012
In reply to itsThere:
Folks, read the thread title: this is about the PS3 version.

CoD is for anyone who wants to play it. You can play as a team, and a small amount of teamwork generally goes a long way. It's fast paced and there are a bunch of more gamey game types for chilling out.

The pace is different to BF3 (which never has 64 players on the PS3 version by the way). If you like jogging for half an hour before gettting hit by a sniper bullet and doing it all over again, then BF3 is for you. The vehicles are good fun, but you have to spend a lot of time flying planes and choppers before you unlock the half decent weapons, which - believe me - is bloody tedious. The thing that drives me nuts about BF3 is that after CoD it feels so slow. That and the constant bunny-hopping that players do to make themselves harder to hit. Frankly that's just odd. The other annoying thing is that while BF3 does have dedicated servers the players who rent them apply arbitrary rules (no shotguns, no C4 on flags, no welsh etc) and are not above kicking people out if they start to lose (i.e. no winning).
 BarmyAlex118 27 Dec 2012
In reply to ksjs: I just personally think it is
There's a nice wide variety of levels from wide open sniper friendly areas to close quarters
Everything is all nicely balanced,massive range of game modes and the fact that you can fly and drive any vehicle.
The fact that you can pretty much bring a house down on someone to kill them just makes that much better then Cod
Plus you don't get 12 year olds screaming swear words every 2 seconds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...