UKC

Grizedale/Lakes/Langdale MTB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinph78 23 Dec 2012
As I'll be in the Langdales over Xmas, and the weather is looking pretty disappointing, I'm thinking of taking the mountain bike rather than trudging up hills in wind and rain.

A web search has highlighted Grizedale forest and the North Face route, but that's not going to keep me busy all day. Are there any similar trails, or maybe a decent day on the bridleways that could be recommended?

Happy to do up to 20m of "tough stuff" in a day. Maybe a couple of short routes linked up (by car if needed). Would need to be a circular though as I'm not lugging any camping gear on my bike.

OP martinph78 23 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Should have said I'll be over there all week, so could do several days of biking, and have car so can travel around easily enough.
 Darkskys 23 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: try whinlatter too mate! I've got a book with some trail centre guides...when I'm home I'll dig it out and let you know
In reply to Martin1978: Great stuff, thanks guys!
 MHutch 23 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

You can have a fantastic couple of days exploring the non-trail centre stuff just around Grizedale, and there's stacks in the area just south of Langdale.

Have a look at the Vertebrate Graphics guidebook - I'd highly recommend the route including Parkamoor and Nibthwaite, which can be linked into longer circuits if required.

You'll get wetter than just trudging up a hill, though!
In reply to MHutch: I don't mind getting wet on the bike, at least if I don't get a view from the top I'll have the descents to look forward to

Just done a search based on Parkamoor and Nibthwaite and found this site has some good info: http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/

All a bit last minute regarding the mountain biking. Knew I was going away but have been leaving it as long as possible to see what the weather had in store.

If anyone fancies a pint tomorrow night or Xmas night I'll be in one (or both) of the Dungeon Ghylls!
In reply to Martin1978: All sorted, packed and ready for the off!

Thanks guys, especially for the scans. I have printed loads of info out so I'll get three good days mountain biking in before my mates head over for some scrambling.

Just hope the Dungeon Ghylls are open as well, that'll make it a perfect few days!

Have a good one.

Martin
 Chris the Tall 23 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:
There was a thread last week on which I linked to a route I did from Langdale in the summer

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=531716

There loads of good stuff, particularly heading south. The track from elterwater to little Langdale is an excellent challenge, and the ford in little Langdale even more so.

Have a look in bike shops for those waterproof maps, the one for Grizedale is particularly useful if you want to explore away from the north face trail
In reply to Chris the Tall: Cool, thanks. Hoping I can get to Ambleside before the shops shut tomorrow. Got plenty of OS maps but not for the Grizedale area.
 ChrisJD 23 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978:

Grizdale is OK(ish). Whinlatter is much more fun and should keep you entertained for a morning or afternoon.
 Darkskys 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: you can download a map for Grisdale mate online instead of purchasing one, plus its well signposted!
 Chris the Tall 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Darkskys:
> (In reply to Martin1978) you can download a map for Grisdale mate online instead of purchasing one, plus its well signposted!

Don't think you can view the one I was referring to online - its one of a series of 4 or 5, printed on waterproof paper, cost 2 or 3 quid and shows far more than the north face trail.

And of course, it you ride the NF, or the new black run, you really ought to be giving some money back to them
OP martinph78 28 Dec 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Well I did the North Face Trail, two sections were closed which was disappointing, and made for what seemed like a lot of uphill for little downhill.

I was having a rubbish time of it with the weather as well (staying in the Langdales and it was VERY wet and windy. My suspension forks had packed up (and explained my horrid "not feeling right" day), the last two sections of singletrack was mostly like a river (seriously deep and flowing water covering everything on the trail which wasn't good with blown front forks!) and both the Old DG and Sticklebarn were closed for four days, so it wasn't the most exciting of stays!

My mates then cancelled, one was ill and the other had seen the weather forecasts, so I decided to head home, have beer with friend and go to Hamsterly Forest with the bike the next day, which was a great laugh despite the rain and a hangover!

I shall definiately be taking my mountain bike back to the Lake District though. Looking forward to going back to Grizedale and exploring the area more, and I am very excited about checking out Whinlatter!

I might get back next week if the weatehr changes. I just couldn't take anymore rain and another night alone in the New DG! Decided that saving my money (and sanity!) for another day was a better option!

Thanks for all of the info, I have printed it all out and shall be revisiting again very soon.

On the way home I heard the news "headlines" and hearing that 9m people watched East Enders on Christmas Day, and there were stampedes at shopping centres across the country on Boxing Day, I smiled and thought that my alternative Christmas hadn't been so bad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...