UKC

What are the worst things about Christmas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 25 Dec 2012
I'm sure there are many but I think brass bands playing Christmas carols must be in the top ten somewhere. Who honestly likes this stuff? I think brass bands playing Christmas carols probably sound as bad to the youth of today as speedcore or neurofunk would have sounded to our great grandparents. It's had it's time. Can we move on now please.
 lost1977 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:

if thats the worst you can come up with then you have never had a christmas like mine
 Only a hill 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:
I like it! I can also think of plenty of 'youths' who also like brass bands, classical music etc. Not every young person falls into the popular stereotype of only liking 'trendy' modern music.
Removed User 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:
I'll see your brass bands and raise you a Noddy Holder telling us it's merry Christmas in the eighth shop in a row that you've entered.
There should be something in health and safety legislation to avert brain damage in the poor sales staff.
 xplorer 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:

Hahahahahaha!

Scrooge
 Elrond 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:

The traditional christmas argument has got to be right up there!
 Elliot Walker 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:

Family... Is it possible to just have a civilized christmas meal?
 JuneBob 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:
Aside from the crappy food that is so bad you only eat it once a year, the horrible television shows that no channel in their right mind would broadcast at any other time of year, the miserable weather, the poor company (family? I'd rather be out with my mates), sharing gifts nobody wants, a waste of public holidays (a bunch of days off and you have to spend them racing round the country visiting family you don't want to visit), all in the name of an event that never happened involving a bunch of beings that never existed.... aside from that it's great
 Indy 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:
Family members near and far comparing presents received with presents given so as to feel either hard done by or embarrassed.
johnj 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:

The shops are shut and you have to stock up on Doritos!
 johncook 25 Dec 2012
In reply to JuneBob:
> (In reply to stp)
> Aside from the crappy food that is so bad you only eat it once a year, the horrible television shows that no channel in their right mind would broadcast at any other time of year, the miserable weather, the poor company (family? I'd rather be out with my mates), sharing gifts nobody wants, a waste of public holidays (a bunch of days off and you have to spend them racing round the country visiting family you don't want to visit), all in the name of an event that never happened involving a bunch of beings that never existed.... aside from that it's great

Thanks! Saved me having to type all this!
 sarahjk 25 Dec 2012
In reply to JuneBob:

You missed spending money you cant afford for junk no one needs and the planet cant sustain. Bah humbug !
 Enty 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:

Regarding the Brass Band stuff have a listen to these guys.
youtube.com/watch?v=VjQXatdjAow&

I'm pissed that it's 9pm and I can't decide what to drink.

E
 paul-1970 25 Dec 2012
In reply to JuneBob:
> (In reply to stp)
> Aside from the crappy food that is so bad you only eat it once a year, the horrible television shows that no channel in their right mind would broadcast at any other time of year, the miserable weather, the poor company (family? I'd rather be out with my mates), sharing gifts nobody wants, a waste of public holidays (a bunch of days off and you have to spend them racing round the country visiting family you don't want to visit), all in the name of an event that never happened involving a bunch of beings that never existed.... aside from that it's great

So why do you do it then? If you do.
 JimboWizbo 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp: Eastenders
 KellyKettle 25 Dec 2012
In reply to stp: Family; love them to bits, would do anything for them, but have sufficiently little in common with them that their extended company can have the effect of making me feel a rather lonely outsider... Ironic, I live on my own in a tiny villiage, yet the solitude never bothers me there.

Examinations; I've been studying for some important exam or another over the hokidays for roughly half my life now; each one is ever more important, and the preparation is ever more soul destroying... There are millions of teenagers and young(ish?) adults who would have a much better rest and happier holiday if the powers that be would schedule examinations before, not after the christmas break.

Gifts: If i recieve a gift that I don't like, it racks me with guilt... but what can you do? Prime example, I was given a small TV for christmas and an inexpensive Digital Radio... I haven't really watched TV for 7 years now, yet listen to the radio pretty much every day, so the small gift had me grinning from ear to ear, whilst the grander gift left me puzzling over how I'd use it and is destined to be used rather less as very large PC monitor, on the occasions i do watch a film or play a videogame (and will deny me the pleasure of ignoring any and all communications from the TV Licencing people). Hard to articulate that without seeming ungrateful.
 JuneBob 25 Dec 2012
In reply to paul-1970:
Hehe - I'm exaggerating a bit. I have missed a fair few to go on holiday, but as I live abroad my parents would like me to visit occasionally, and Christmas seems suitable.
OP stp 27 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:

I have add Christmas Crackers. To me these seem to be an icon of all that's wrong with Consumer Christmas.

Packaging wrapped up in packaging. When you you get to the centre it's just utter worthless crap that no one wants - an unfunny joke, a paper party hat, and some plastic imitation of something. And how much do they rip you off for these things?

People only buy them because it's tradition (bad reason for anything) and they lack the imagination to do anything different or more creative.
 tim000 27 Dec 2012
In reply to stp: car journeys taking twice as long because of all the plebs going to the sales to buy stuff they dont really need because it`s in the sale.
 didntcomelast 27 Dec 2012
In reply to tim000: I agree there. we live not far from that abomination of consumer heel, the Metrocentre in Gateshead, and managed to get stuck in the queue of traffic trying to take my mother in law home after Christmas. The blasted place has only been closed a day yet there were still traffic jams of sad people waiting to waste money and incur unwanted debt to buy something they neither really want or need. It doesn't give much support to the argument that the economy is struggling and people have little disposable income if the shops are showing record sales. What we really need to send a message to this government is the shops to be empty with no money being spent. then they may get an idea that their policies, especialy toward the public sector are wrong.

Wonko The Sane 27 Dec 2012
In reply to stp: I'll agree with the traffic. three years ago got in a 4 mile tailback near the Trafford Centre when I went to pick up my cat day after boxing day.
What I don't get is whey they still queued up? If there's four miles of traffic trying to get in there couldn't be much in the way of parking left..... surely you'd just forget the trip? I know I would.
 tlm 27 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:
> brass bands playing Christmas carols must be in the top ten somewhere. Who honestly likes this stuff?

*tentatively puts up hand*
 Timmd 27 Dec 2012
In reply to tlm:

I like the brass band carols too, and my family liked the presents I bought them, relatively less disposable things like CDs and books, and a mug and a t-shirt.

Happy family, nice food, cheery music, lots of alcohol, a new addition to the family in the form of my nephew. Havn't had a nicer Xmas for ages.

I'm lucky to have a nice family though... ()
 Timmd 27 Dec 2012
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to stp) car journeys taking twice as long because of all the plebs going to the sales to buy stuff they dont really need because it`s in the sale.

We're plebs as well don't forget, or hoi polloi if you'd rather, or commoners, we're all equal when you remove wealth and status...

Have had that brought home to me in seeing different people with mental health problems, we can all have funny patches.

Anyway, back to the worst things about Christmas...

Jon Stewart 27 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:

An orgy of senseless consumerism with a religious twist - what's not to like?
 Sharp 27 Dec 2012
In reply to stp: Please, it's the 27th of December, I've got another 9 months before Christmas comes inevitably rearing it's ugly carcass out of the abyss again, let me enjoy the peace while it lasts.

I'm with you on the Christmas Crackers though, an ironic epitome of what Christmas has become.
 Alex Slipchuk 27 Dec 2012
In reply to stp: the complete and utter hypocrisy of it all
 SAF 27 Dec 2012
In reply to stp: The back stabbing and bitching that goes on at work in the run up to christmas regarding who is covering what/how many shifts over christmas/new year...to the point that people get paranoid of going off sick in case they get slagged off as a result!!! Takes the fun out of it all.

This year I coped for boxing day, NYE (night) and NY day (night). But pay day on the 24th january will be a good one
 abr1966 27 Dec 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to stp)
>
> An orgy of senseless consumerism with a religious twist - what's not to like?

great phrase....i may use that at some point!
Sarah G 28 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:
indigestion!

Sxx
 yeti 28 Dec 2012
In reply to stp:

i can accept some people like brass bands but i like listening to marilyn manson some times, and loud, but not in morrisons please, though i didn't see them this year (yay)

oh aye, and works/office partys, i bet a lot of attendees go cos the boss would be offended if they didn't

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...