UKC

Has Kalymnos been affected by Greek economic problems?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 full stottie 08 Jan 2013
Thinking about another Kalymnos trip this year - anyone know if the island is showing any effects from the general Greek crisis that we should be aware of?

Dave
 Skyfall 08 Jan 2013
In reply to full stottie:

what, apart from everyone wanting to be paid in cash because their card machines mysteriously don't work and rather ironically blaming any shortfall in tax collection on the Gov't.
OP full stottie 08 Jan 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Nice one! Do I detect just a smidgeon of cynicism or bitterness there? Have you had a bad experience?

Was the same when I first went to Kalymnos before the great crash.
 Noelle 08 Jan 2013

We were there in June and the bar owners and scooter hire people were obviously very happy to take your money, but apart from that, not too much difference!

We got pestered by café/bar promoters a bit more strongly in Pothia than when I went a few years ago, but the climbers' village area was just the same, with a maybe a few more empty/unfinished buildings than before.

I did think that there were very few young local people. Everyone who can leave in that age bracket, has already left. Although, living in Ireland, you tend to forget that isn't the norm everywhere!
 3 Names 08 Jan 2013

We were there in October and the locals told us visitor numbers were down 40%

That was good news for us but bad news for them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...