UKC

Grivel G12 - spring clip broke on first use :(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simonukcH3Dw 26 Jan 2013
I took my new G12's out last week and the one of the spring clips broke off and is now distorted

I have size 11 boots so use the extender bars and guessing there's too much pressure on them - I've read something about using a nut and bolt instead?

Any info/tips on this folks?
 LucaC 26 Jan 2013
In reply to simonukcH3Dw: They should come with a pair of nuts and bolts from Grivel. Take the antibots off and bolt through the hole where the clip would normally hold them.
OP simonukcH3Dw 26 Jan 2013
In reply to LJC:

Thanks LJC - I've tried that but hit another problem:

1) The instructions show that the nut and bolt should go through the hole where the red arrow is - this would make sense (to be the most secure) except there is no hole underneath! There is a hole underneath where the blue arrow is. So which is it?!

2) Should the extender bar sit on top of the yellow strip on the anti balling plate (showing by the green arrow) or show it go underneath?

http://www.screencast.com/t/y30pkiuXt

Cheers
In reply to simonukcH3Dw:

1) Red. However I have only seen this done this with older crampons. Have looked at my newer ones and it seems you will need to do something about the anti-balling plate. Others may be able to offer more advice.

2) Over as far as I'm aware.
 Mountain Llama 26 Jan 2013
In reply to simonukcH3Dw: how bendy are your boots, to much flex will not help? Did you fit the acordian, as they can interfere with the spring clip. Why not take them back to the shop?
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I agree 'red' is the better option - just don't fancy cutting a hole in the anti-balling plates

In reply to Mountain Llama:

There is some bend in them. I've ordered replacement spring clips for a few quid but am guessing the nut and bolt is a better option (as I only have one pair of boots)
 na1 26 Jan 2013
In reply to simonukcH3Dw:
i think you can slide the nut in between the plate and the crampon,into the slot under the red arrow. You can then add the screw and tighten without cutting your anti-balling plate. The screw might push on the plate but this won't be a problem.

You could also undo the front clips of the rear plate by pushing a flat head screwdriver underneath the clips and gently levering them towards the front of the crampon , add the nut and screw, then clip the plate back on. That should be a bit less fiddly than the first option.

If you can't manage either of these options then take them to a good climbing shop and ask them to do it for you.

I hope this helps
 steveshaking 26 Jan 2013
In reply to na1: I just did this to my crampons, its done exactly as you say, you need to slip off at least one of the antiballing plate to get the nut in and hold it with a spanner. Its not hard, just fiddly.
I did it because if the heel was snug tight on the crampon then it could cause the crampon to hinge and the clip came out of the hole. Prob not going to happen once on, but it played on my mind.
No reason not to have them done by nut and bolt unless you have multiple boots or share crampons.
Thanks na1 and steveshaking - I've done it that way. Wasn't too difficult to pry the anti-balling plates off with some pliers and then squeeze them back on again. Definitely feels a lot better than using the adjustable clips!

Cheers.
m0unt41n 26 Jan 2013
In reply to simonukcH3Dw: I put a dab of araldite on the nut after I did mine to make sure it didnt come loose.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...