UKC

Bad back, help needed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 leeangell 27 Jan 2013
Hi

I had a bad car accident when I was 18 and broke my back in three places, ever since I have had a bad back, I've always put up with pain in past but 20 odd years later and nearly 20 years of farming and generally abusing my body the pain is quite crippling, I'm off on a couple of climbing trips in the next few months and am not looking forward to spending days on end carrying a heavy rucksack, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for coping with or reducing the pain, it has been suggested using a weightlifting belt, but while this may be ok walking, I'm worried that while climbing it would just be a hinderance not to mention interfearing with the harness, any ideas? I'm only 40 and not ready to give up the mountains just yet!
Jim C 27 Jan 2013
In reply to leeangell: bad back run in our family , My daughter has been worst , having two operations as a teenager. I ave problems too, but at home I sometimes wear a weight lifters type belt, but softer and more elastic.

When I have a heavy rucksack, I buy one with a very robust and padded waist belt, I pull it VERY tight onto my hips and make sure the straps on my shoulders are loose, and just stop it moving backwards, but not putting any weight on my back, all the weight of the sack is then transferred straight to my hips and legs , avoiding loading my back. Like you , the pain Is always there though, this only stops it getting worse, it does not make it better.

OP leeangell 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim C:

Thanks Jim, I may give it a go and see how I get on, I'm off to Scotland the week after next.

Jim C 27 Jan 2013
> (In reply to Jim C)
>
> Thanks Jim, I may give it a go and see how I get on, I'm off to Scotland the week after next.

In reply
Sometimes the pain is just worth it, I had a good day out yesterday, no rain, justva bit of 'atmosphere' and a few snow flurries.

This this wee Corbett was busy with a ski mountaineering club staying at the Kings house, but great views.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22776031@N05/sets/72157632616473605/
 dale1968 27 Jan 2013
In reply to leeangell: might sound silly but try not to focus on the pain, focus on somewhere that doesn't hurt, count backwards from a hundred in 7s,hth
 ben b 27 Jan 2013
In reply to The OP: have a good trip; ski poles and ibuprofen; don't carry too much if you can help it, and keep at it.

I had some lumbar spine fractures after hitting the deck at worlds end in clwyd, so can appreciate where you are coming from.

Good luck

B
In reply to leeangell:

Second that - some good trekking poles. I suffer with my lower back after a 25' climbing fall onto my butt 20 years ago. Last summer trekked for 15 days in the Pyrenees with an 18k sack and they made a heap of difference.

Didn't help making it comfortable to sleep in a tent though ;-(
 ben b 27 Jan 2013
In reply to La Shamster: For that you need an Exped Down Air Mat or Synmat, I think....

b
 mike123 27 Jan 2013
In reply to leeangell:
http://www.yogaforbacks.co.uk/
this seems to be getting lots of good feedback. it wont help you short term but is almost certainly worth a try for a potential long term fix. my yoga teacher has done a course to deliver a 10 week program that teaches postures and exercises , she is about to start the second one and has 30 people for 10 places. try to find a course near you ?
OP leeangell 27 Jan 2013
In reply to ben b:

Thanks for the replies chaps, funnily enough sleeping out in the mountains is not something I have a problem with thanks to the Exped mat and being completely knackered I sleep like a baby, if fact better than I do at home!

As for drugs, I don't need Ibuprofen as I'm already on 500mg Naproxen tabs eeveryday already (for all the good they do!)and I take Sulphadine Max tabs for the pain though again they only last an hour or so and then agony again, I don't like relying on them to much though.

I may pull the ski poles back out the cupboard and dust them off though, I never got on that well with them before but maybe its time to give them a go again.

Thanks
Lee
OP leeangell 27 Jan 2013
In reply to mike123:

Thanks mike, I may look into that.
 nw 27 Jan 2013
In reply to leeangell: Have you looked at neoprene lifting belts? Might be more comfortable and easier to wear with other kit than a leather one.
OP leeangell 27 Jan 2013
In reply to nw:

Cheers, I'll check them out.
In reply to ben b:

I was using a neo. Unless I'm on anything other than a mattress I suffer.
 Jim Fraser 27 Jan 2013
In reply to leeangell:

Use physios not quacks. Appropriate exercises for self treatment. Heat treatment: hot water bottles. Get appropriate drugs from gp: might mean opiates. Right size rucksack: 70+% weight on hips.
OP leeangell 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser:
> (In reply to leeangell)
>
> Use physios not quacks. Appropriate exercises for self treatment. Heat treatment: hot water bottles. Get appropriate drugs from gp: might mean opiates. Right size rucksack: 70+% weight on hips.

Thanks Jim, as I said earlier I am on Naproxen from GP, I am currently waiting for a physio appointment, but with the NHS the way it is I could be waiting a loooong time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...