UKC

Ordering Foreign Currency Online

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve John B 04 Feb 2013
Just wondered if anyone had any personal recommendations of good/bad companies to deal with for ordering foreign cash online. I know how to find out rates, it's reliability I'm more bothered about!

Thanks
 Philip 04 Feb 2013
I always end up using the post office as I never want to take the risk.
 abh 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve John B:

Hi, I always use my bank. I'm sure I could get a more competitive rate elsewhere but we are only talking about £100 worth, so not much in it....They don't charge commission.

Never had a problem with them.

Cheers
 yorkshireman 04 Feb 2013
In reply to abh:

I normally just use my bank card abroad but when I needed several k in cash few years ago (paying a plumber, honest) I ordered with Travelex, and picked up at the desk after security in Gatwick. They were about as reliable as can be expected but obviously if you're rushing for your plane it might be a bit of a risk.
Phil Payne 04 Feb 2013

Where are you going? I have been using a CaxtonFX Euro card for the past couple of years and it's great. Much more convenient than carrying lots of cash around and you get free cash withdrawals and card transactions as well as a pretty good exchange rate. I think they do them for other currencies as well.
 dazmac 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve John B: I have never had a problem I use this website to find me the best deal

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
OP Steve John B 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Phil Payne:
> (In reply to Steve John B)
>
> Where are you going?

Dubai. The pre-loading cards seem to be in Euros or Dollars. Can't get normal credit cards etc due to previous financial 'issues'...

Looks like the difference between the best online option and the Post Office is pretty minimal so I'll prob do that.

Thanks all.
 Andy Nisbet 04 Feb 2013

I order online from the post office but then collect from my local PO (saves a fee). My local PO don't like it because then they get no commission, which they would if I went in and got currency direct.
 Yanis Nayu 04 Feb 2013
In reply to Steve John B: I just used a Halifax credit card, as recommended by Martin Lewis.
 alexcollins123 04 Feb 2013

http://www.travelfx.co.uk/

I have used these guys multiple times with several thousand (£ > €) each time and they have been good. Excellent communication. Was a bit nervous the first time but they are fine.

Alex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...