UKC

Core upper body excercises with big Gym Ball?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 06 Feb 2013
My physio has advised me to do some core strength upper body exercises with a big gym ball to help with my rehabilitation of a shoulder injury.

So far I've been given three basic exercises to get me going, but to stave off repetitive boredom, does any of the good and wise have any exercises or even youtubes for me to follow?

So far I'm given some press-ups, a static position posture to work on my shoulders and one where I rest my back on the ball to open up my thoracic spine.

Cheers
 Tophe 06 Feb 2013
youtube.com/watch?v=LXHqF23zqb8&

I find the exercise at 0.12 and 1.09 a really good climbing specific exercise, I also think doing pushups with your hands on the ball could be good as it works the stabilizing muscles in your shoulder.

disclaimer - I'm not a physio so could be talking rubbish.
Cappa 06 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I found using the cable machine on a low weight moving through a large arc (in each direction) with the effected arm as a good warm up after my dislocation.

Then anything that unbalances your shoulders such as press ups with one arm on a bosu board(ball bit up)the other on the floor, or both on the board if its the other way round. Depending on the severity of the shoulder injury you may need to hold the position rather than complete reps. If it hurts stop doing this will strengthen the supporting muscles allowing you to prepare for more conventional exercise.
 Skyfall 06 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Funnily enough I am doing shoulder exercises for an injury I picked up late last year.

Not been doing any ball exercises but lots with therabands, some push ups, 'chopping' (low and high) with cable machine, shoulder raises (front and side) - all fairly low weights/resistance.

It's been very slow to recover but I have to confess that, other than taking some initial time off (and a couple of weeks over Xmas), I've carried on climbing. To be fair though, provided I am not doing anything tooo hard or awkward shoulder-wise, it doesn't cause pain at the time (though it can sometimes ache a bit more than normal the next day).
Kaizen 06 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming: a decent lower back exercise for the lower back is hyper extensions. Link below will show a gif of the exercise being done.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/WtBallHyperextension.html

I'd personally position myself a little further forward to increase the range of motion of the exercise.
In reply to Kaizen:
> (In reply to The Lemming) a decent lower back exercise for the lower back is hyper extensions. Link below will show a gif of the exercise being done.
>
> http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/WtBallHyperextension.html
>
> I'd personally position myself a little further forward to increase the range of motion of the exercise.

You can go a little further with this exercise to strengthen the back. If you know what 4 point kneeling is, you can do this with the ball on your stomach lifting opposite arm and leg. You can also progress to lifting both legs up with arms in pushup position. Make sure you clench your glutes before lifting each leg. This is something my physio has me doing for my back problems.

Sitting on the ball and doing bicep curls and overhead tricep extensions with dumbbells are good. Lie back on the ball on your shoulders and do presses (like bench presses) with dumbbells.

Make sure you have balance in your routine. If you are doing press ups, make sure you are doing some kind of rowing (pulling) exercise along the same plane of motion on a 1:1 ratio. If you are doing chinups do overhead presses. If you are doing hangs do handstands.

Maybe look into kettlebells - swings and circles are 2 good exercises for healthy shoulders.

Hope this helps

Seb
 lost1977 06 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

but what was the root cause of the shoulder injury ? without knowing that exercises could just make the situation worse
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> but what was the root cause of the shoulder injury ? without knowing that exercises could just make the situation worse

I agree, personally i'd just do exactly what the physio has told you to do. If it's three specific exercises for now, just do them.
OP The Lemming 07 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I think I'm in love

youtube.com/watch?v=hIwZPS5vqPc&
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> I think I'm in love
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=hIwZPS5vqPc&

Really? I'm more of a blond man myself...

youtube.com/watch?v=MQPmlfp1R_Y&
 flaneur 07 Feb 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Do the exercises the physio. told you to do, the number of times they told you to do them and no more. When you next see the physio. tell him or her that you'd like to do more exercise and perhaps they will recommend some more if they think you are ready. Why do you think you would get better advice from a random on the internet?

lost1977 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:

nice to see a lady doing squats but come on wheres the depth, she needs to get ATG for better arse development
OP The Lemming 07 Feb 2013
In reply to flaneur:

Sorry mummy. I'll be an especially good boy from now on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...