UKC

Fingerboard mounting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Jam 14 Feb 2013
I know this topic has been done before but I couldn't find an answer to my question searching previous topics. I have a power bar 2 and want to use it to mount my beastmaker in a similar way as is shown here:

http://s578.beta.photobucket.com/user/ben__dawson/library/Beastmaker?fromLe...

My problem is that my carpentry skills are non-existent so I don't know what type of wood to use or how best to make the hook over the bar. Anyone feel up to helping me out?

Thanks!
 Fraser 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Daniel James:

Pine and ply. To create the hook and to level it plumb, just use timber packers as that guy has done. Simple.
OP Dan Jam 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Fraser: Sorry but this is going to sound like a really stupid question but where do I get timber packers from: do they sell them at B&Q? Also how do I join the main board to the hook part? Screws, nails or something else?

Thanks
 Fraser 14 Feb 2013
In reply to Daniel James:

The packers are just thinner bits of wood - ply is fine, but anything will do - it just spaces out the back part of the hook to the right distance from the rear of the fingerboard mounting panel. (you can see what has been used in the 4th photo) Think of them as flat wooden washers perhaps. To be honest, you might not even need them, depending on how thick the bulkier bits of wood are that you're using. All that they're doing in that 4th photo is stopping the bottom of the board rotating inwards under load.

Yeah, just screw the timber together. Long enough to get a decent bite into the timber, but not so long that they'll come through into the fingerboard itself.

To join the fingerboard to the backing structure: the FB will have come with screws. They go through the holes pre-drilled in the FB and into a backing panel ie the bit of ply you'll need. This should be a bit bigger all round than the FB itself. Then round the edge of the mounting panel, you screw in the thicker parts to form the hook 'element'. On the photos you link to, it looks like the guy has maybe just used screws and clamped the top part onto the powerbar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...