UKC

Inversions all round !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nickyrannoch 15 Feb 2013
Well thats the forecast for Sunday for most mountain areas on MWIS at the moment !!

Having said that the last time I rememebr there being 99% guaranteed inversions around this time last year I dragged my good lady through clag and drizzle up Ben Ime assuring her we would break through at any moment before spending a cold wet hour on the summit to no avail.
 Mark Bull 15 Feb 2013
In reply to nickyrannoch:

Hmm. Windspeeds look too high for a classic "sea-of-clouds" inversion. Might just get breaks in the cloud in the lee of the hills.
 Milesy 15 Feb 2013
That was pretty windy on top actually as you can see from the turbulent nature of the cloud ceiling.
 Milesy 16 Feb 2013
How did did everyone get on with inversion hunting today?

I went for Ben Lawers and at the summit the blue sky was teasingly close but not close enough.. It was bright, warm feeling (out the wind) and and blue tinged. It was a bit windy so I think the clouds were getting blown across the summits blocking the views.

Anyone higher or in a different area?
 Mike-W-99 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy:
Wall to wall sunshine at the lecht.
Bits of The Cairngorms looked good (eastern hillls) but the cloud was coming and going and ecentully(4 ish) had enveloped most of them.
 Simon Caldwell 16 Feb 2013
In reply to Milesy:
Apparently there were good ones in the Peak District.
I went shopping instead
 Milesy 16 Feb 2013
Looks good for monday. took the day off to do the aonach eagach. blue sky, snow and an inversion layer nice
 Mike-W-99 17 Feb 2013
In reply to nickyrannoch:
No sign of an inversion on Lochnagar today. It was very cold on the summit with underfoot conditions frozen. Funnily it had the cloud effects of an inversion without the warmth.
Great skiing though.
 Milesy 17 Feb 2013
The inversion cap will still be there even without cloud so you can still be in the cold air while still in the sunshine while the hot air is sitting higher on the cap. Doing the Aonach Eagach tomorrow so if it is cloudless I want the cap higher so I get frozen underfoot, but if cloudy I want the cap lower

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...