UKC

Honeymoon in the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Motown 18 Feb 2013
Never been there but considering a few days in the Lake District for my honeymoon. Would like quiet, beauty and walks on the doorstep. All information/suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
andrew breckill 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat: They have some wooden 'tents' in the NT langdale campsite, £30 a night, leccy/heating included and some awesome scenery, the band/rosset ghyll and a load more walks on your doorstep. Oh yeah, congrats on the upcoming nuptials.
 Chris the Tall 18 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat:
Well, it's one holiday when you don't mind spending plenty of time indoors.
We had two weeks in the Scottish Islands, and only one day when it didn't rain!

No idea on the budget, or the scale of the wedding, but if it is likely to be stressful for your other half then it might be an idea to go somewhere with relaxation and pampering available.

Langdale estate might be worth considering, either rent a lodge or spend a few nights in the hotel. Has the advantage of one of the best pubs in the Lakes (Britannia at Elterwater) on the doorstep.

If you want to get away from it a bit more, then maybe eskdale or wasdale
 Kev Fox 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat: What kind of honeymoon are u wanting? hotel? b&b? camping? We honeymooned in the lakes last May. Absolutely Gorgeous weather. But we roughed it, camped in the very basic campsite at rosthwaite and spent our 5 days climbing, canoeing and making use of the scafell hotels bar.
 Tall Clare 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

A slight aside, but I do wonder why threads of this nature suggest that women might want 'pampering'.

I'm wondering whether we can fit a bit of kayaking in on our wedding day to break up the trauma of spending time with our families - and the rest of the three days of honeymoon will be spent mostly mountain biking, I think.
 Tall Clare 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

Not sure if the accommodation round there is suitable, but the Duddon valley ticks the 'quiet', 'beauty' and 'walks on the doorstep' boxes. I think there are apartments and rooms at the Newfield Inn, and there's also camping at Turner Hall Farm.
 Ava Adore 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

Keswick is my favourite spot and I have a lovely B&B that I stay in there. Send me an email if you want the details.
 frankbabs 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

My vote goes to Ennerdale' you won't find anywhere quieter!!

Thanks
 Chris the Tall 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> A slight aside, but I do wonder why threads of this nature suggest that women might want 'pampering'.
>
Some women do though, even climbers! I remember once doing a 10 pitch route in the dolomites with a female friend and having to run all the way down because she had a spa treatment booked at 6pm!

And for many couples the honeymoon is a holiday where they might want to treat themselves to a bit more luxury than usual, and may have found the whole wedding thing a bit stressful.

And of course you can do both, we took MTBs with us, but still stayed in some very nice places

Robert Dickson 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat: We had a couple of nights at the Drunken Duck in Barngates:

http://drunkenduckinn.co.uk/

Lovely room overlooking garden and pond, superb food and drink.
OP Motown 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Will Cat: Thanks all - closer to camping now so money can spread to two holidays with a second in Lundy in the summer. Thank you again. We can't wait.
Jim C 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> A slight aside, but I do wonder why threads of this nature suggest that women might want 'pampering'.
>
> I'm wondering whether we can fit a bit of kayaking in on our wedding day to break up the trauma of spending time with our families - and the rest of the three days of honeymoon will be spent mostly mountain biking, I think.

My friend took his wife a tour of iron and steel foundries for their honeymoon, certainly memorable, but not quiet, by all accounts she enjoyed it, no papering for that Northern lass.
andrew breckill 21 Feb 2013
In reply to Jim C: Why? did they get the decorators in? sorry couldn't resist, not that I'm one to speak, with my typing skills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...