UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Wild Country's New Boulder Mats In Shops Now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 19 Feb 2013
Ned Feehally puts his faith in Wild Country's new pads on The Ace 8b, Stanage. , 5 kbStand out new colours and a sharp new design make Wild Country's latest crash pads a force to be reckoned with in 2013. Offering a choice of partners for those big trips or simply a quick bouldering fix at your local crag they're stylishly finished in a choice of four solid colours and our big, bold logo print. These pads look the part and most importantly feel the part and are the perfect choice when you're facing a big fall...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5256
 stevedude888 19 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: What's the quality of the foam like?
 Wild Country 19 Feb 2013
In reply to stevedude888: Like the previous versions the foam is very, very good I think everyone who has a Wild Country pad would confirm that. However, it's pretty obvious I would say that but there should be several reviews out soon.
 craig1983 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Richie Patterson, Wild Country:

Could you possibly explain why WC pads (and in fact most big brand pads) are so expensive?

The new Touchdown Pad is smaller than the new Alpkit Phud, yet its twice the price.

Its not a quality issue....I've owned the old Phud and Woomf for 3 years and they're bombproof.

Are we simply paying twice the price for a 'brand name'??
 Wft 19 Feb 2013
In reply to craig1983:

I can't speak for their newer models but all the old alpkit mats I've seen look battered and the foam soft. Still a bargain but I think you must have got lucky/dont use them much.
 craig1983 19 Feb 2013
In reply to GuyVG:
> (In reply to craig1983)
>
> I can't speak for their newer models but all the old alpkit mats I've seen look battered and the foam soft. Still a bargain but I think you must have got lucky/dont use them much.

My mats get used alot...and I'm a bit of a 'faller'

That aside...even if WC are using 'slightly' better quality foam...can it justify doubling the price?
 gcandlin 19 Feb 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: Alpkit sell direct to the consumer, WC sell through shops, thats part of the reason.

If you knew the cost of materials and the tiny profit margins on pads you will find that they are actually pretty well priced.
 Wild Country 19 Feb 2013
In reply to gcandlin: Thanks. You're pretty much spot on there. Pads are expensive to make when you use good foam - and selling through a reliable network of retailers rather than direct makes up the rest.
 LennyJ1 19 Feb 2013
In reply to Richie Patterson, Wild Country: So why not sell straing to the customer also?
 nufkin 19 Feb 2013
In reply to LennyJ1:

Lots of people like having a try/poke/squeeze of things before they buy. Can't do that without a shop of some kind
 Wild Country 19 Feb 2013
In reply to nufkin: Hey, this is great, clever UKC people answering all the questions for us...Nufkin's called it...
 craig1983 19 Feb 2013
In reply to nufkin:

The whole "people like to see and try things before they buy" doesn't wash these days....that's the attitude that saw Comet, HMV, Jessops and others go to the wall.
In reply to craig1983:
> (In reply to nufkin)
>
> The whole "people like to see and try things before they buy" doesn't wash these days....that's the attitude that saw Comet, HMV, Jessops and others go to the wall.

The reason they went bust was they were basically crap, they couldn't be relyed upon to sell decent products at a reasonable price whilst providing good service and genuine advice which is the complete opposite of most of the proper climbing shops I've ever been. I've never been into Needlesports, Joe Browns or Urbanrock and been sold crap products at way over the odds prices by a totally useless 'assistant'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...