UKC

Crux backpacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mim tiller 26 Feb 2013
Does anyone know anything about the crux rucksacks? I'm looking for a bag about 40-50 litres for winter climbing and mountaineering and I was wondering what the bags are like?
 Jack Finney 26 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller:

I've got an AK47 and really rate it. Lightweight, comfortable, has everything you would need and nothing you don't.

If you happen to suit back size 2 they are selling some off direct on their website. http://www.crux.uk.com/en/clearance.php
 Skyfall 27 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller:

Got an ak47 - don't really rate it. V 'baggy', lid doesn't stay put, stitching coming undone in places. Nice concept but not great in practice is my opinion.
 Damo 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to Timothy Miller)
>
> Nice concept but not great in practice is my opinion.

Unfortunately I have to agree, in general. I'd like to like Crux, but with both my Flak jacket and Flak pants there are design/manufacture flaws which seriously undermine them.
- pants buckle broke when unwrapped from packaging
- pants are a good 1" shorter inseam than their spec
- jacket nice and wide across the shoulders, trim around the waist, but neck / front of hood ridiculously tight so that I can't wear most helmets under the otherwise-good hood, at least not if I want to do the zip up in bad weather.
- i looked at an AK47 in the shop but the lid seemed way too floppy when lighly loaded
 Solaris 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Damo:
> (In reply to Skyfall)

> Unfortunately I have to agree, in general. I'd like to like Crux... - i looked at an AK47 in the shop but the lid seemed way too floppy when lighly loaded.

Agreed. I had one for a while (I was given it). It carried really well but the zig-zag side straps don't work, the lid is too small and it's too easy for things to fall out, and the top sleeve was made of way too flimsy fabric on mine.

I got a POD Black Ice instead and am really pleased with it - though it's not quite as comfortable.
 MG 27 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: I've been through phases with mine. Initially I thought I had made a mistake (for the reasons given above) but now I like it a lot. The lid material is indeed too flimsy and had to be replaced. Otherwise very tough, simple, light and comfortable.
In reply to mim tiller:
I have three Crux sacs of different sizes. Whilst I agree the lid design can be a bit of a faff and "flop around", I haven't had any quality issues. The lid can be taken off if the pack isn't full, although I would prefer that they adopt a more conventional design.
Personally I choose to use them because I've not seen anything better for strength/ weight and simple climbing specific design.
 Damo 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Damo:
> (In reply to Skyfall)
> [...]
>
>
> - i looked at an AK47 in the shop but the lid seemed way too floppy when lighly loaded

Sorry, I actually meant the AK47-X with the extendable lid. And to be fair, they're not the only brand of pack with this problem.
 aldo56 27 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: I've got an AK47 and i'm delighted with it, totally bomb proof and very light weight.
 CurlyStevo 27 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller:
I found the frame of the AK47 rucksack was in the way when wearing a helmet.
 jonleighton 27 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller:

I've got an AK47-X. I love it except for the complaint about the lid that others have raised. However I kinda thought this is par for the course given it's an extendible lid, but I don't know if this problem also affects the non-extendible models.

The lid complaint doesn't both me that much. It's a bit annoying but still a great bag IMO.
m0unt41n 27 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: I had an AK47, the lid zip broke after a few years, kept opening. Also have now an AK47X the floating top straps do not lock into place so it really does float. Needs a better fixing. But have been fairly bomb proof.

I have a Podsac Black Ice which the floating lid does stay fixed, so it is possible. Lid of this is enormous. Also an XPod for trips which is great.

I like both AK47 and Black Ice, simple, robust (except for zip and that could have been me over cramming the lid since its small). Different design features so worth looking at both. Similar weight and capacity.
 Slarti B 27 Feb 2013
In reply to m0unt41n:
> Also have now an AK47X the floating top straps do not lock into place so it really does float. Needs a better fixing. But have been fairly bomb proof.
>
I have had an AK47-X for couple of years. Very light, tough and comfortable. Nice to get a decent load in without stuff hanging off. Found it excellent for Scottish winter, carrying larger loads to crag and bivvying in alps.

Dont want to be too picky but issues I have had are:
- Baggy if not that full ( I bought a 30l for smaller loads)
- Floating lid floats, advice I got was to put Seamgrip on the retaining straps and this extra friction has really helped.
- ixe axe loops a bit large for technical tools with small hammeradze
 beardy mike 27 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: I've got the smallest they did in that series - I got it cheap in the slush and rubble sales. Initially really liked it, but the sewing was pretty poor on it and the lid zip failed to the point that its totally useless now. Shame because like others have said - really nice in concept and I really wanted to like, but the execution was somewhat adrift...
 Mountain Llama 27 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: Had an AK47 for the last 7 years and use it for everything from cragging, Scottish winter to lite wt camping. I find it very water proof, comfy and hardwaring. A proper designed floating lid would make it unbeatable, so we'll have to settle for well thought out bombproof sack

Davey
m0unt41n 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Slarti B:
> - Floating lid floats, advice I got was to put Seamgrip on the retaining straps and this extra friction has really helped.

Thanks - will give it a try, at present have had to tie up the straps.
 david100 27 Feb 2013
I currently use the ak47 x for all my trips. Bombproof comfortable simple pack. I agree with the comments about the floating lid and I have to adjust all four straps everytime I close it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...