UKC

starting out bouldering pads?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mim tiller 28 Feb 2013
I've started doing some bouldering at dumbarton rock and i need a mat, can anyone recommend any cheep crash pads? i was looking at the moon pluto pad, any thoughts?
 gcandlin 28 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: Too small for your only pad, check out Alpkit if you want a decent cheap pad.
OP mim tiller 28 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: would the alpkit phud mat also be too small then?
 gcandlin 28 Feb 2013
In reply to mim tiller: If it was me an was my only pad I would look at the Mujo, The Phud would do but in the long run is not the cheaper option in my opinion as will wear much faster
 jkarran 01 Mar 2013
In reply to mim tiller:

Small mats are ok if that's all you can fit in your car or as an addition to a big mat but you wouldn't choose one as your first and only mat without good reason. Phud is quite a small mat.

jk
 Monk 01 Mar 2013
In reply to jkarran:

> (In reply to Timothy Miller)
>
> Small mats are ok if that's all you can fit in your car or as an addition to a big mat but you wouldn't choose one as your first and only mat without good reason. Phud is quite a small mat.
>
> jk

Has the Phud got smaller than it used to be then? Mine is fairly big (won't fit in the boot of a Pug 206). Then again, I do most of my bouldering at the moment with a Woomf, which really is quite small.
 'The Potts' 01 Mar 2013
ClimbX from Go Outdoors is a good option for a cheap pad, got one before christmas, does the job. If you're not in a rush i'd reccomend you wait a while cos they often have sales online like 20% off so bagged mine for £80 with free delvery.
 anaesthetic 01 Mar 2013
In reply to mim tiller: The Alpkit Mujo will do you, big enough crash pad but fits in my Ford KA folded up. Its an improved version of the old Phud. The new Phud is now a taco style mat, bit smaller than mujo.
 jkarran 01 Mar 2013
In reply to Monk:

1m x 1m according to the website. Mine is very similar to that (withoug going to measure it) but they no longer make it. I think mine is a Phud, it was the smaller Alpkit offering and fits a Z3/MX5 boot.

jk
 Fraser 01 Mar 2013
In reply to jkarran:

I think the old ones used to be more like 1.3 x 1.0m (I had a MK. 1 version and it was pretty decent for a first mat.) The 'Woomf' was the smaller, taco style one, also no longer produced.
 Monk 01 Mar 2013
In reply to jkarran:
> (In reply to Monk)
>
> 1m x 1m according to the website. Mine is very similar to that (withoug going to measure it) but they no longer make it. I think mine is a Phud, it was the smaller Alpkit offering and fits a Z3/MX5 boot.
>
> jk

It has got smaller then - mine is more than a metre square. The Woomf is the smallest mat Alpkit did - I think it is about 100x75 cm.
Alpnick 06 Mar 2013
The factory has been busy this week and we have just put a new batch of Phuds back in to stock.

Sorry for the wait.

Cheers

Nick
 Duncan 88 06 Mar 2013
In reply to mim tiller:
worth a look at to is this other British company http://www.climbingfactory.co.uk/products.html
 deacondeacon 06 Mar 2013
In reply to Duncan 88: Have you used a climbing factory pad?
 Duncan 88 07 Mar 2013
In reply to deacondeacon:
A friend has one which i have used on occasion. it seemed to be be a good pad and did everything i wanted. my friend seems pretty happy with it as well.
 deacondeacon 07 Mar 2013
In reply to Duncan 88: ah ok, a friend bought one and it is by far the worst pad I've ever used. He ended up giving me the pad and all I've ever used it for is cleaning my shoes on when soloing.
Perhaps they've changed the foam they where using.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...