UKC

Anybody tried the new Miura 45 crag pack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lewiz 04 Mar 2013
Good evening

I've heard great things about the Miura 50 pack and was considering picking one up. These are now on the way out and the Miura 45 is coming in. I've not been able to find any reviews of the Miura 45 and wanted to know whether anybody has had a chance to play with one in a store or (better) at the crag?

My initial impression is not great and it seems a step back from the Miura 50 but without having seen one in person it's best to reserve judgement.

A couple of videos in case anybody is curious:

Miura 50 (old model)
http://arcteryx.com/video.aspx?language=EN&video=Miura-50-Demo

Miura 45 (new model, £120)
vimeo.com/45888919
OP lewiz 04 Mar 2013
e.g. some of the things I spotted about the 45 as compared to the 50

- has handles on the sides, nice for carrying around
- flimsier looking waistbelt
- no shoulder suspension
- no way to strap a rope or tent etc. to the top (not the pack's main purpose, but still handy)
- more pockets for organising things (a friend who has the 50 said he could do with one more, but perhaps this is because he keeps his helmet in the top pocket)
 TobyA 04 Mar 2013
In reply to lewiz: If anyone has watched the most recent episode of the Walking Dead they might notice that the Miura 50 is ready for the Zombie apocalypse although it might not guarantee your survival. Perhaps the 45 includes some new Zombie-ready improvements?
OP lewiz 04 Mar 2013
Damn I haven't seen it yet, but that's definitely good to know. With the 50 you'd be able to keep your shotgun/crossbow/rope more handy which could be the difference between life and eternal death...
 TobyA 04 Mar 2013
In reply to lewiz: It doesn't seem to work too well for the chap concerned...! It freaked me out because a) Walking Dead always scares the sh** out of me and b) because I have exactly that pack! http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3906

More seriously the new version looks really clever but I do love the toughness of the Miura 50. I've been using it year round - my ice tools happily strap under the front straps and it fits all the crap I lug to the icefalls (belay jkt, spare gloves, 2 thermoses etc!) in easily. The zips are super beefy and run in straight line, the new version looks to rely more on curving zips which often seem a weak point in pack designs.
 Radioactiveman 04 Mar 2013
In reply to lewiz:

anyone else think it seems a bit on the small side? Also looks like the pockets wont be much use. All he had in it was a half rope in a sack,shoes and a small amount of gear and it looked a lot more than half full, barely enough room left for my lunchbox
OP lewiz 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA: Thanks... I had thought it didn't look as tough too and good point about the zips!
OP lewiz 04 Mar 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman: I wondered the same... but I've seen people on other forums trying to cram everything into a Miura 30 before! I usually carry a bit of extra gear as most crags are a very short approach and throw in a large DSLR and I think you're right, the 45 has had it!
OP lewiz 04 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA: In your review you show the 50 with drawbridge open... does all of that lot got in when you close it up, including the helmet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...