UKC

The High Chaparral

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 15 Mar 2013
The music, the male bonding, and Victoria (sigh...)

I hesitate to call it culture, but what TV from your childhood still leaves you with a warm glow of escapism?
 ThunderCat 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Worzel Gummidge. Life was simple. A cup of tea and a slice of cake was all you had to aspire to.

ThunderCat 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

I may already have mentioned that I appeared on Knightmare when I was at school...
OP Skyfall 15 Mar 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

Can't remember Knightmare but, looking on wiki, can't see no Thundercat on the cast list
 sbc_10 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

UFO...... the future within my lifetime, the suits, the cars, the Angel Interceptor ladies...with their crocheted spacewear...yes I had escapist dreams about them.
OP Skyfall 15 Mar 2013
In reply to sbc_10:

> UFO......

ah, one of my guilty pleasures,I have the dvd...
 Dave Garnett 15 Mar 2013
In reply to sbc_10:
> (In reply to Skyfall)
>
> the Angel Interceptor ladies...

Wasn't that Captain Scarlet? But yes, the lurex and purple wigs made a permanent impression on me as well. The girls in the submarine were pretty eye-cstching too...

The UFO girls' boss was Benedict Cumberpatch's mum, who died quite recently.

Hat Dude 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Anybody else remember "Ace of Wands"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_Wands

About a "trendy" slightly hippyish magician called Tarot who solved crimes helped by the inevitable attractive girl and cockney geezer sidekicks.

OP Skyfall 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:

The ladies in wigs and crochet suits were mostly on moonbase but I think also in the sub. I clearly need to watch it again...

God they don't make tv like that any more.
OP Skyfall 15 Mar 2013
get a load of these theme tunes

youtube.com/watch?v=1JOO2EZqwVk&

this one nicely showing an array of futuristic costumes and an assumption that every girl would automatically have a boob job on her 18th birthday

youtube.com/watch?v=SgRdR4xGbtY&
 Clarence 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

For me it was Kung Fu (aaah! glasshopper!) and Bagpuss. No really fit ladies though, apart from Jennymouse of course.
OP Skyfall 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Clarence:

I thought of Kung Fu earlier and was waiting for it to come up.

Some other good ones... The Man (note singular) From Uncle, Mission Impossible (the TV series, obviously).

Lol, and Starsky And Hutch!
 toad 15 Mar 2013
In reply to sbc_10:
> (In reply to Skyfall)
>
> UFO...... the future within my lifetime, the suits, the cars, the Angel Interceptor ladies...with their crocheted spacewear...yes I had escapist dreams about them.

yes, yes! I still find myself whistling the them tune - You forgot the smoking and the whisky dispenser at Strakers desk!
 Clarence 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> ...crochet suits...

Oh bod! I just did some youtubing and the full horror of 70s blokes in string vest tops came back to me. I can't see them without getting that tang of sweat, Hai Karate and stale Watney's Party Seven in the back of my nose.
 Dave Garnett 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Clarence:

Yes, but what about the 70s girls in string vest tops?
 Clarence 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:

They can smell of sweat, Hai Karate and stale Watney's Party Seven all they like.
 Fat Bumbly2 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Hat Dude: Yes - was going to post that one. (Ace of Wands)

Also a shout for Timeslip - did global warming and cloning in 1970.

Really enjoyed Freewheelers too.
chad halfwit 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
salmay, dalmay, adomay!

i can't believe no ones mentioned Catweazle.......
Removed User 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall: "The prisoner"-what the f*ck was that about? Department "S" was also fairly weird.
Removed User 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> The music, the male bonding, and Victoria (sigh...)

Blue Boy, Manalito, Cochise. The whole was my favourite as a kid.

>
> I hesitate to call it culture, but what TV from your childhood still leaves you with a warm glow of escapism?

TBH I think "the Waltons" fits this bill the best for me.
 James B 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Randall and Hopkirk, remember them? Ha!
Bewitched. I am still deeply in love with Elizabeth Montgomery
Outer Limits. Never, ever rewatch this. The entire world it opened for you will self-destruct inside 5 seconds. Actually do, it's so bad it'll have you in stitches
Captain Scarlett, of course. Shows how sexy puppets can be (the Angels for me, not Captain Blue)
I see your High Chapparal and raise you The Virginian

Sorry Mr Sioux but I thought the Waltons were a bit bland and uninteresting even at the time, proof I had some critical powers at least, despite all evidence to the contrary given above
 James B 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

And what was the one where the heroes were shrunk and so had to wander through a hostile world full of danger and outsize predatory cats? Not the Borrowers, the other one?
 Fat Bumbly2 16 Mar 2013
In reply to James B: Land of the Giants.
 Doug 16 Mar 2013
In reply to James B:

> Bewitched. I am still deeply in love with Elizabeth Montgomery

Being shown again on French TV but its not the same once dubbed.

TV shows that are fixed in my memory include Stingray, Thunderbirds, Man from Uncle, The Avengers, Ivor the Engine & How

Removed User 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall: voyage to the bottom of the sea.
 Richard Smith 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall: Ah The High Chaparral; what a program.

Many of my favs are mentioned, UFO, Joe 90, Space 1999, Watch with Mother (when I was much younger). There was a program called rock Face fronted by Ron James; does anyone remember that???

I've got the book from the BBC. There is one program I cannot find any details about or anyone who remembers it was French made Aeronughts. It was about French Fighter Pilots.

Of course Bagpuss has been mentioned; I have two at home in training to be Bagpusses.

Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss
Old Fat Furry Catpuss
Wake up and look at this thing that I bring
Wake up, be bright, be golden and light
Bagpuss, oh hear what I sing

toad 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Richard Smith: youtube.com/watch?v=L2ZaeGXYhRY&

I'd forgotten this
In reply to Richard Smith:

...And so their work was done.
Bagpuss gave a big yawn and settled down to sleep
And, of course, when Bagpuss goes to sleep,
All his friends go to sleep too.
The mice were ornaments on the mouse organ.
Gabriel and Madeleine were just dolls.
Professor Yaffle was a carved, wooden bookend in the shape of a woodpecker.
Even Bagpuss himself, once he was asleep, was just an old, saggy cloth cat,
Baggy, and a bit loose at the seams,
But Emily loved him
 Fat Bumbly2 16 Mar 2013
In reply to toad: I remembered that one when I got lost in Dijon on the drive south once...

Further east, how about a shout for all those Eastern Block fairy tales that used to be on. Singing Ringing Tree (never to be forgotten) and the others. I found the Snow Queen to be particularly "chilling". Wanted to do a Brave Sir Robin when that was on.
 sbc_10 16 Mar 2013

There is something about Bagpuss that gives me the creeps. A cold shudder of somebody looking over a leaf strewn grave decades after that person, their memories, their hopes and wishes have all faded into history.
This melancholia makes it unwatchable.
Then again it could be about a moth-eaten old toy....ho-hum.
OP Skyfall 16 Mar 2013

Loved Space 1999 (maya...)

I remember the French fighter pilot one.

Never got Bagpuss.

What about the Flashing Blade?

At a much earlier age I loved noggin the nog.
 oaktree 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
my rekindled memories include
robinson crusoe-i think dubbed from french
banana splits-sat mornings
one with a white horse in-again dubbed
the submarine one with windows at the front
OP Skyfall 16 Mar 2013
In reply to oaktree:

Yes remember all those. Wasn't the white horse one just called 'white horses' ? With a catchy themetune.

Also, belle and Sebastian - the girl and dog

Removed User 16 Mar 2013
In reply to James B:
> (In reply to Skyfall)
> > Sorry Mr Sioux but I thought the Waltons were a bit bland and uninteresting even at the time, proof I had some critical powers at least, despite all evidence to the contrary given above

Na, sorry, but it was a favourite of mine.

Loved Alias Smith and Jones and also Little house on the prairie.

Of course there were shows targetting adult audiences and ones targetting kids.
In reply to Skyfall: Noggin the nog! Nog Bad the Nog, do you remember him?
 Tom Valentine 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

I thought Flashing Blade was the white horse series with the catchy theme.
Any way, my vote goes for the coolest man of the times - Richard Bradford as McGill in Man in a Suitcase.
In reply to oaktree:

"Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" was the one with the submarine with windows and a smaller flying sub too.

youtube.com/watch?v=m9c8FW2fxbE&
 mack 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

For Sci Fi - Dr Who, The tomorrow People, Sapphire and Steel, Space 1999, Day of the Triffids, Captain Scarlet, Stingray, Star Trek, Joe 90 AND Blakes 7.

Foreign - Water Margin, Monkey.

Others - Black Beauty (Awesome title music), Battle of the planets, Mr Benn, Bagpuss, Bonanza, High Chaparral, Rawhide,Mission Impossible, Hill Street Blues AND Starsky and Hutch.

and OTT (late on a friday night).
In reply to Skyfall:

the mysterious cities of gold... head and shoulders above any other kids tv programmes at the time. i got the dvd recently and was amazed how well it holds up, was if anything even better than i remember- complex plots and ambiguous characters, with a lot of historical accuracy in the locations and backdrop of events.

and ulysses 31- from the same team that did cities of gold- though that hasnt stood the test of time so well, more of a guilty pleasure...

cheers
gregor

sbc_10 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Nobody has gone for ......
" If your mansion house needs haunting ....just call RENTAGHOST..."

I used to love it.
 toad 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall: I watched a box set of Blakes7 first series recently. It's a lot better than I remembered! Yes, the sets are flimsy and some of the characters (Jenna, Blake!) are a bit one dimensional, but the stories are really well plotted, and for it's time it's quite dark and morally ambivalent - if you can get past the speci..er..ordinary effects, it's well worth a watch.
 Clarence 16 Mar 2013
In reply to mack:
> (In reply to Skyfall)

> Foreign - Water Margin, Monkey.

Friday night treat was a chinese takeaway (eaten with chopsticks for added fun) while watching The Water Margin or Monkey. Classic entertainment but I got very confused about Tripitaka.
In reply to Skyfall: F Troop.
redsonja 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall: loved the high chaparral- especially blue boy and his palomino horse. also randall and hopkirk, starsky and hutch and alias smith and jones
 Hat Dude 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to oaktree)
>

>
> Also, belle and Sebastian - the girl and dog

Boy and dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...