UKC

Gas heater in a van

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adam Lincoln 19 Mar 2013
What are peoples thoughts on using a gas heater in a van.
One of these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/summit-2kw-portable-gas-heater-p210909

Obviously i wont sleep with it on but it does say don't use indoors. I assume this is just them covering their backs?

In reality whats the worse that could happen. Surely its only the same as using a gas cooker?
 Timmd 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

I understand that the worst that can happen is carbon monoxide poisoning, falling asleep, and then death. In a nut shell. ()
 Luke90 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Timmd:

On the plus side, it's supposed to be one of the less unpleasant ways to go.
OP Adam Lincoln 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
>
> I understand that the worst that can happen is carbon monoxide poisening, falling asleep, and then death. In a nut shell. ()

Obviously i wouldnt be closing the van door, just to heat it up a bit in the mornings.

Either way, sounds like a bad idea.

I already have a monoxide monitor in van.
In reply to Luke90:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> On the plus side, it's supposed to be one of the less unpleasant ways to go.

With an errection ive heard!

hokkyokusei 19 Mar 2013

I think it's because of the possibility of being asphixiated by a build up of carbon dioxide (combustion product of butane) in an unventilated space.

So yeah, just covering their backs.

Gav M 19 Mar 2013

Not to mention the fire hazard. If you can afford one buy a Propex heater for risk free heat.
 Sharp 19 Mar 2013

I imagine it would suffer the same problem as gas stoves, once the cartridge gets low the heat out will be negligible. If it's really cold (when you need it most) you'll get no heat out of anything other than a full can, which will mean it'll be expensive and you'll spend your time heating gas cartridges up between your legs and swapping them over. Not ideal when you want to get warm!
In reply to Gav M:
>
> Not to mention the fire hazard. If you can afford one buy a Propex heater for risk free heat.

Think i am going to have to stump up the grand for a diesel heater. Just wanted to avoid it till next winter.
 charlieg0pzo 19 Mar 2013
I used one all last year and had no problems. Open a window and use an alarm.
 Cuthbert 19 Mar 2013

I haven't worked out the advantage of a diesel heater, in real practical terms, over a propex gas heater given that they cost a LOT more.
 McGuinness 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln: go for a 12v eberspascher D2. 7 day timer as well, so when you wake up in the van it's warm, or if you take it to work on a frosty morning, it's already defrosted and toasty warm. And you can run it off red diesel if you get a seperate in-van fuel can.
 Timmd 19 Mar 2013
In reply to charlieg0pzo:
> I used one all last year and had no problems. Open a window and use an alarm.

I guess an alarm is the main thing.
 Camm 19 Mar 2013
You can get them for about £600 new, 24v versions go cheap on ebay, if you're handy with electrics they're a doddle to fit.
In reply to McGuinness:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln) go for a 12v eberspascher D2. 7 day timer as well, so when you wake up in the van it's warm, or if you take it to work on a frosty morning, it's already defrosted and toasty warm. And you can run it off red diesel if you get a seperate in-van fuel can.

I'm going to do this when I get a spare grand! There's a guy that does refurbished ones on Ebay for around £650-700 but I'd want it fitted really too (you might wanna give it a go though Adam - can't be much harder than windows eh?

Paul Crusher R 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Adam, used one of these the other week in the ecrin, left it in the footwell of the van running all night, window open a jar, kept the van pretty toastie and it was prob below 15 outside. Were still here...! Had co2 detector and it didn't go off so they get my thumbs up.

http://www.outdoor-ranger.co.uk/campingaz-bluecat-heater-p-13581.html?curre...
 kwoods 19 Mar 2013
> What are peoples thoughts on using a gas heater in a van.
> One of these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/summit-2kw-portable-gas-heater-p210909

In reply to Timmd:
>
> I understand that the worst that can happen is carbon monoxide poisoning, falling asleep, and then death.

My pal died in exactly this way. So not recommended. Get a monitor at least, but I'd be too paranoid even for that.
 Timmd 19 Mar 2013
In reply to kwoods:I'm not surprised.
 Dave Henderson 19 Mar 2013

I've got a Propex Heatsource 2000 and have been really happy with it - cheaper than Eberspacchhherhehrehrehrher and easier to install. I think they're about £400-450 at the moment. I run mine off a 5kg bottle of Propane which also fuels the cooker... they also run off Butane and a Butane/Propane mix. If you're making longer trips to Europe it's worth looking into sourcing a euro gas regulator thingy.

They also have a smart thermostat and the nasty exhaust gas is vented outside.
 mike123 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Timmd:
>
> I understand that the worst that can happen is carbon monoxide poisoning, falling asleep, and then death. In a nut shell. ()

+1

ProbBly perfectly fine unless you get back to the van one night cold tired hungry . You put the heater on then get some food , a brew or beer and then doze off . What are the chances of that ?
 xplorer 20 Mar 2013

I think msr make catalyc style heaters now
M0nkey 20 Mar 2013

Please don't do this. It sounds really dangerous. Not quite Darwin Award dangerous, but still, unadvisable.
 peas65 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave Henderson:

We just fitted a propex too, cost about £450 new for everything, would recommend it its brilliant! The second hand price is really good too so you can always flog when your finished.
 dale1968 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln: I know of two people who died in the same vehicle fell asleep and never woke up (cooking, stove went out and continued to pour co2 into there vehicle)
 woolsack 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln: I bought a second hand Propex which I fitted and have had three years out of so far, cost £150-200 I recall
 mhawk 20 Mar 2013
In reply to dale1968: Yep, in my unfortunate experience as a firefighter, these can be seriously bad news in poorly ventilated compartment.
 Baron Weasel 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln: It's a bad idea unless you install large air vents or have a flue'd heater.

In my van for really cold conditions I have a a piece of granite (think bit of slab from a skip outside a stone masons). I then put this on the grill of my stove and light a few tea lights underneath. Takes about half an hour to heat up and has kept the chill off when it was below minus 10 a couple of years ago.

BW
 Gudge 20 Mar 2013

+1 for a Propex.
 ashpreston 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln: I've got an eberspacher and its brilliant.
 ERU 20 Mar 2013
I turn the engine on (inc heaters) or get inside my sleeping bag
 Timmd 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Baron Weasel:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln) It's a bad idea unless you install large air vents or have a flue'd heater.
>
> In my van for really cold conditions I have a a piece of granite (think bit of slab from a skip outside a stone masons). I then put this on the grill of my stove and light a few tea lights underneath. Takes about half an hour to heat up and has kept the chill off when it was below minus 10 a couple of years ago.
>
> BW

What an inventive idea. I like that a lot.
 Caralynh 20 Mar 2013

We use a cartridge powered gas heater in our van, but with a carbon monoxide detector in situ. It does work, but has never been triggered by using the heater. Obviously we don't leave the heater on overnight or when we're not there. Works a treat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...