UKC

REVIEW: The Click-Up Belay Device

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 12 Apr 2013
The Climbing Technology Click-up, 4 kbThis innovative assisted-braking belay device from Climbing Technology is aimed at the single-rope sport climber and indoor climber. Alan James takes a look and gives us his appraisal.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4710
 ColdWill 12 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: Now if I hadn't just bought a Mammut Smart...
Could this be used in auto block mode to bring up a second, probably by the look of it, anyone tried?
In reply to ColdWill:
> (In reply to UKC Gear) Now if I hadn't just bought a Mammut Smart...
> Could this be used in auto block mode to bring up a second, probably by the look of it, anyone tried?

I've used it for this and it works fine although you need to keep your hands near the device so you have to extend it if you are belaying off a fixed belay above you.

You can see Stefano demonstrating this with a (prototype) Alpine Up in this video - http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=676
(He does this towards the end of the video, after 3 minutes)

Alan
 beardy mike 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: Got to be said, the alpine up magic plate function is by far the best I've tried - it's much much smoother than others apart from really thick ropes...
 ColdWill 12 Apr 2013
In reply to mike kann: but that is some heavy gear.
 koalapie 12 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: Sounds like it's aimed at grigriphobiacs!
 beardy mike 12 Apr 2013
In reply to ColdWill: yep. But it's some versatile gear...
 Fraser 13 Apr 2013
In reply to mike kann:

...but you can't use it to ab off with.
 rgold 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
> (In reply to coldwill)
> [...]
>
> You can see Stefano demonstrating this with a (prototype) Alpine Up in this video

No. The Alpine Up has an additional hole that allows it to be used as a guide plate, and that is what is demonstrated in the video. The Click Up does not have such a hole and can't be used that way.

You could use either device in its ordinary locking capacity on the anchor for an upper belay, but you can only activate locking by having the brake strand higher than the device, an unnatural position which, as AJ says, might require extending the anchor to lower the device.

Since the device used this way will not lock unless the belayer pulls the brake strand above the device, there is nothing automatic about locking at all, and unless the device has been positioned low enough that the brake strand is always above it during taking in, there is a definite risk of dropping the second.

The Click Up is basically a one-pitch sport and gym belay device. Get the Alpine Up if you intend to climb and perhaps rap off multipitch routes, but then fat single ropes won't work well or at all.

Franco Cookson 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to mike kann)
>
> ...but you can't use it to ab off with.

yes you can

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...