UKC

An afternoon in Copenhagen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 18 Apr 2013
I have a ridiculously long wait on Monday afternoon at Copenhagen airport between my flight in and flight out, so will have plenty of time to get a bus or whatever into the city and have a look around. I've driven through on the motorway a number of times in the past but we never stopped so I have no idea what to do/see - I've just heard it's a nice city + what I've seen on many episodes of The Killing...

Does anyone have any recommendations? Museums or sights worth seeing? I'm happy walking a lot, and cheap or free is better than expensive!

Many thanks in advance for any tips.
 MG 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA: Glyptotech{sp} is good. Nyhaven on a nice day. Tivoli can be missed.
 Doug 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA: The area round Nyhaven is pleasant if its a sunny day with bars, cafes etc by the canal.

Don't bother going to see the little mermaid -she really is little & on the é times I've been, the area was mobbed by Japanese tourists maing her even more difficult to see.

ps - quickest way into the city centre is the metro which has a station in the airport itself - takes about 20 minutes to Kongens Nytorv which is the closest to Nyhaven
 MikeTS 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby

Copenhagen is nice and very boring. Grab a bite at Nyhaven, walk around the centre. Never found a good museum, or any 'sights' that I remember.

Mike
 ebygomm 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I liked the Rundetårn if you want a view over the city.
 Tom Last 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

'Freetown' Christiania is worth a wander round. It's the 'autonomous' hippy enclave within the city, interesting place. The hothouse in the botanic garden is nice, like a mini Kew. Quite a few towers you can go up around the city centre to get very good views of the city, which is worth it too. Nice city, but yep a bit dull.
OP TobyA 18 Apr 2013
In reply to all: Thanks everyone for ideas - and the metro tip in particular. Your a tough audience though; if Copenhagen is dull I wonder what everyone would make of Helsinki!
 jwhereat 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Go to the irish rover opposite the viking pub and get trollied.

Aslo the national museum has some pretty amazing specimens dug up form bogs
 Fat Bumbly2 18 Apr 2013
In reply to jwhereat: Indulge your inner 5 year old and watch the Changing of the Guard. Soldiers in bearskins march through the city, c. 11am IIRC.

Pure Ruritania.
 dsh 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Doug:

> Don't bother going to see the little mermaid -she really is little & on the é times I've been, the area was mobbed by Japanese tourists maing her even more difficult to see.

The walk to the mermaid is very nice though.

Postmanpat 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I thought the National Museum was brilliant-obviously assuming that you find archeological remains, bodies from peat bogs, and Vikings interesting.
 Conf#2 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Hey there's this cool museum with exhibitions of several different periods of history! It's on the way to Nyhavn from Copenhagen central.

The website is natmus.dk. It's the national museum. There's a Viking boat and people who have been preserved in bogs for 2000 years! I totally recommend it. And it's free.

Conf#2 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

Snap!
 Tom Last 18 Apr 2013
In reply to dsh:
> (In reply to Doug)
>
> [...]
>
> The walk to the mermaid is very nice though.

Agree, walking along the rivers/canals/sea in Copenhagen is good.
 dsh 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Beer is really cheap if you go to the divier places, was 2.00 - 2.50 a pint last may
redsonja 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA: as already suggested, the nyhaven and christiana are good places to spend a bit of time. Copenhagen is an easy city to just wander around
 Doug 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to all) Thanks everyone for ideas - and the metro tip in particular. Your a tough audience though; if Copenhagen is dull I wonder what everyone would make of Helsinki!

Similar in some respects, although Copenhagen seems better for sitting outside having a beer/coffee. Highlight of my last trip to Helsinki was probably a trip out to whatever the island with a castle, etc is called.

But I'm sure you'll find Copenhagen pleasant for a few hours strolling about.
OP TobyA 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

> I thought the National Museum was brilliant-obviously assuming that you find archeological remains, bodies from peat bogs, and Vikings interesting.

Really, who wouldn't?!

The bit about it being free makes it sound even better too.

Thanks again everyone.

Mikkel 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> 'Freetown' Christiania is worth a wander round. It's the drug dealing, violent thugs area

Fix it for you.

If you for god know what reason you want to go there, dont take pictures or you might find youself with a smashed up camera and broken bones.

I would go for a wanter around Kastellet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kastellet,_Copenhagen

nniff 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I had an afternoon to kill and both of us enjoyed the museum. Given the number of bikes around I thought it would be fairly easy to hire one, but seemingly not.
 astrange 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Mikkel:

If you have look under Kastelbroen at Kastellet (The Kastel Bridge) you can go climbing! There is an on-line guide in Danish, but you should get the idea

http://www.stonemonkey.dk/artikler/kastel_broen/kastel_broen.pdf

Br,
Anders
 elsewhere 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:
Once you're in the city centre it's very walkable. Nyhaven & parliament/palace good for an afternoon. There's a national museum close to parliament that is free.

Airport was a little confusing (maybe we missed some huge sign) the first station we encountered was rail rather than metro so don't take the train to Sweden.

Knitwear & flickering torch essential as it's permanently dark and strewn with corpses.
 Doug 18 Apr 2013
In reply to elsewhere: rail & métro are very close together with a shared area for buying tickets, just be careful to take the flight of stairs to the métro platform rather than one of the train platforms (few metres apart & reasonably well signposted IF you are aware that there are both rail & métro platforms !)
Pan Ron 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Love the city. You can always grab a bike and cycle around. Nyhaven for a drink is pleasant, Stroget is ok for a walk but just a typical pedestrianised shopping street. Christiania is an interesting experience to walk around but much has apparently changed there - I was last there a dcade ago. My normal advice of "sitting on a grassy bank and eating some magic mushrooms" apparently can't be applied any more. The Carlsberg brewery was always on the classic tourist route as is a trip to Tivoli (but best done with kids).
 abh 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I have to agree...

I once went for a weekend there - there are some nice places to wander about, but generally is a forgettable place....

Hope you have fun though...
 Kimono 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:
Helsinki is beyond dull

Though there is a nice modern art museum
 Alan M 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to all) Thanks everyone for ideas - and the metro tip in particular. Your a tough audience though; if Copenhagen is dull I wonder what everyone would make of Helsinki!

I have a long weekend in Copenhagen booked and this thread is now making me think I picked the wrong city!  The choice was Budapest or Copenhagen.

In relation to Helsinki – Surely Copenhagen can’t be worse?  I was in Helsinki last summer….Forgettable is the word.  By the end of the holiday we were spending more time taking the ferry back and forth to Estonia.
 MHutch 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Alan M:

I liked Copenhagen - the boat trips around the harbour are not too expensive, Christiana as mentioned, the botanic gardens are good, loads of lovely bars and restaurants, couple of nice museums....

Check the mermaid isn't 'away on tour' before you walk all the way up there...she was when we went.
 MHutch 18 Apr 2013
In reply to MHutch:

Oh, and you can always get the train over to Malmo for a bit of Swedishness...
 paul george 18 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:
if you get the metro into the central station there is a wonderful sauna just out the back of it (can't remember the name but google it if you fancy). I think it is over the top of the swimming pool or something. They provide everything you need and lovely place to chill.
 Tall Clare 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Alan M:

Budapest is an amazing city. Sorry.
redsonja 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Alan M: Copenhagen is lovely and if you have a long weekend you could always take the train to odense- home of hans Christian Anderson. But Budapest is beautiful, so go there another time
 Postmanpat 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Alan M:
> (In reply to TobyA)
> [...]
>
> I have a long weekend in Copenhagen booked and this thread is now making me think I picked the wrong city!  The choice was Budapest or Copenhagen.
>
>  
Copenhagen would be great for a long weekend.
 Mikkel 18 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Or just go out to Roskilde, see the Cathedral where all the Kings and Queens are burried, and ofcourse the Viking ship museum.
The replica Longboat they got there is awesome.
 Tom Last 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Mikkel:

I've only been there the once, so will take your word for it. Did seem a bit dodgy, but I took plenty of pictures of the place and didn't have any bother. Guess I was lucky, but there's plenty scarier places in London where I'd still be happy taking pics.

Anyway, just one of those places you've got to see isn't it, bit crazy tie-dye alternative for me though, I don't think I'd be bothered about going back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...