UKC

Qmd 's Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gali 21 Apr 2013
Anyone give me some idea if there is still good snow cover on any of the higher munros . Keen to get a last trip for a few quality mountain days this winter. I hear it s meant to get colder next weekend?
 forcan 25 Apr 2013
Some big patches at the tops, not much left lower down. Lawers group last Saturday, only large snowfield was the north side of Been Lawers itself, walking was 90% clear, 10% snow
 Pritchard 26 Apr 2013
In reply to gali:

The only place I imagine you'll get winter QMDs now is on the high Cairngorm plateau going in from the north. Did Beinn Mheadhoin and Ben Macdui from Cairngorm ski centre on Sunday gone and was on snow 80-90% of the time. I would say for the route we took the snowline was 700, being solid cover above 1000. We could see south facing slopes were pretty thin even above 1000 (Bynack More looked almost completely clear). IMO aside from the route we did, a Braeriach/Cairn Toul route would be the only solid Winter QMDs your likely going to get. You'll definitely get winter days in elsewhere, but I doubt they would be ones you'd want to present in your 40 at assessment.

Craig.
In reply to gali:

I did the highest Munro via the CMD arete last friday and it was awesome. Snow and ice from about 1000m and a few people topping out from the gullies as well. That was a week ago though so not sure how it is now. Still snow falling on An Gearanach and the Ring of Steall when we were there as well.
 CurlyStevo 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Pritchard:
Braeriach also likely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...