UKC

Llanberis Pass Wild Camping?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MattH 07 May 2013
Is it still permissable to camp by the layby by the Cromlech boulders? Does the farmer come around in the morning still collecting money? What about camper vans? Would a van be allwed to stay overnight?
Cheers,
MattH
 remus Global Crag Moderator 07 May 2013
In reply to MattH: When I stayed there a year or so ago someone still came round in the morning and hustled a couple of quid out of you.

If you're discreet Im sure youd be fine in a van. Don't shit in the river, don't rock up at in the afternoon and construct tent city etc.

If you're worried about it there's some camp sites in the pass. The snowdon bunk house is alright and pretty cheap, havent stayed in the nant peris site but presumably it's ok. Dont know if either have camper van facilities but im sure theyd let you park up for the cost of a pitch.
 Chay 07 May 2013
In reply to MattH: Probably get away with it; however, there's a good campsite in Nant Peris that's £4 a night (last time I went) with a great pub across the road.

No brainer.

C
 ianstevens 07 May 2013
In reply to Chay: Got away with it a few weeks ago, as did many others. Just put your tent up when its dark and take it down before it gets to late in the day! Having said that a couple of people got away with leaving theirs up.

The campsite in Nant Peris is a shocking (sarcasm intended) £5 now, plus a quid for a shower (if you're that way inclined)
 snoop6060 07 May 2013
In reply to MattH:

Think its generally OK, but at the weekend quite a few were properly taking the piss. 2 massive tents were up all day saturday* by the parking for the Grochan. 4 tents were then pitched about 5pm while the pass was still v.busy.

Generally, I think its OK if you keep a low profile (i.e pitch when its dark and pack away early doors), but I suspect its going to become a big problem if people take the piss and just gonna camp wherever they feel like it and dont keep a low profile.

*for what its worth, these people evidently weren't climbers.
 EeeByGum 08 May 2013
In reply to Chay:
> (In reply to MattH) Probably get away with it; however, there's a good campsite in Nant Peris that's £4 a night (last time I went) with a great pub across the road.

I would only say good if a field with dirty toilets and disgusting showers is the definition of good, but slightly better than the piss smelling boulders. There is no issue with campervans since they are parked on the road.

PS - I have gone soft in my old age!
In reply to EeeByGum:

I have always loved the simplicity of that Nant Peris campsite. Great view too. In the v old days we always used to camp on the strip of grass by the river, just over the wall from the Grochan layby, but that's probably not acceptable nowadays.
 EeeByGum 08 May 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Yeah - you are right of course. The only downer for me is that the Vaynol Arms is a bloomin Robinsons pub. When you live in Stockport where every pub is a bloomin Robinsons pub, you hope for a bit of variety when you head to such an idyllic location.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...