UKC

New Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climber007 15 May 2013
Hello,

My North Face Summit Series jacket let in a lot of water over the weekend after a drenching in Wales. Naturally, I am disappointed.

This brings me to think that I should be saving up for a new jacket. What bombproof jackets are worth considering? I will be using it for walking, climbing and possibly some alpineism in the future.

Thanks.
 TobyA 16 May 2013
In reply to climber007:

> My North Face Summit Series jacket let in a lot of water over the weekend after a drenching in Wales. Naturally, I am disappointed.

A couple of questions: how old is it? Goretex has a warranty - not sure how long but the fabric is guaranteed to be waterproof for some time. Then, secondly, are you sure the jacket was leaking through the material? Sometime people have unreasonable expectations of what shell clothing can do in "a drenching". Did you have your hood up the whole time? Could water have got in through the cuffs? Did you get very sweaty inside with everything done up etc? In horrible hard rain, water finds ways in (or sweat doesn't get out) but it may well not be the fabric not working.
 Adam Hughes 16 May 2013
The north face gives a 2 year warranty on all items.

Gore-tex gives a lifetime warranty,

I would defianatley reccomend washing the jacket as gore loses breathing proprieties when dirty- even blocked with sweat.
 SteveoS 16 May 2013
In reply to climber007:

Most 'respected' companies will use a 'bombproof' or as close to waterproof material. Best thing for you to do is to find a jacket that actually fits.
Personally Rab doesn't fit me at all but TNF and ME do (making all suggestions of Rab jackets useless to me).

Try some on and if you're concerned about how 'bombproof' the material is, find out the materials of the jackets that fit and do a google search. There's plenty of gore vs. event arguments out there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...