UKC

coffee vs creepy crawlies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 23 May 2013
Caffeine is apparently highly toxic to insects and arachnids, and slightly less toxic to humans. Ticks and midges should keel over when exposed to levels of caffeine that humans would shrug off (or at least survive).

So, my question is this: Is it possible to drink enough coffee to make your blood poisonous to creepy crawlies, while remaining alive and functional.

Or am I safer sticking with deet?
 deepsoup 23 May 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
> Or am I safer sticking with deet?

It probably isn't safe drinking enough DEET to make your blood poisonous.
hth
 Milesy 23 May 2013
I drink tons of it and have yet to notice any effect on midges and ticks. Caffeine stimulates the sweat glands apparantly, so probably likely to attrack more midges to you.
 Cameron94 23 May 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> Caffeine stimulates the sweat glands apparantly, so probably likely to attrack more midges to you.

Seen as midges are attracted to exhaled carbon dioxide I doubt your caffeine induced sweat fest has any influence.
 Milesy 23 May 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
> (In reply to Milesy)
> [...]
>
> Seen as midges are attracted to exhaled carbon dioxide I doubt your caffeine induced sweat fest has any influence.

Except that carbon dioxide is also excreted from your sweat glands as well.
 Cameron94 23 May 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: As far as I know it's only the exhaled carbon dioxide that attracts them.

Although I've never seen anything to say otherwise I could be wrong!
 Ciderslider 23 May 2013
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to davidbeynon)
> [...]
>
> It probably isn't safe drinking enough DEET to make your blood poisonous.
> hth

That's funny - surely it's fine with the right mixer... to take away the nasty deet taster :-0
Jimbo W 23 May 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

In human cells, caffeine inhibits two of the main kinases involved in DNA damage signalling, ATM and ATR. I find it very surprising that caffeine isn't apparently more toxic to humans, but it may be that its use is so ubiquitous its impossible to elucidate any toxic effects on humans.
 FrankBooth 23 May 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
I like to smear myself with crushed Pro-plus mixed into skin cream. but that's another story.

If extracting caffeine is desired, you might want to check this video out - it clearly plays havoc with your hair mind you.
http://www.periodicvideos.com/videos/mv_caffeine.htm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...