UKC

marmot basic work gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ralphio 29 May 2013
Thinking of buying a pair of these for an upcoming trip to the alps this summer.has anyone used them? Thoughts? Are they suitable for summer alpine? I'm also taking mitts so will have warm gloves if the weather turns.
 StuDoig 29 May 2013
In reply to ralphio:
Personally I'm not a huge fan. I find the cuff too short so end up with cold wrists, and though they are pretty water resistant, they don't dry too quickly if they do get wet (probably more a Scottish problem than a Alpine one!). I found them pretty cold once wet too. My other "light" gloves (seal skin winter things) were better and warmer in damp conditions.

If they fit you though, they are warm, dexterous, pretty wind resistant and robust. I tend to use them to approach climbs or for non climbing days. That's in a Scottish winter context though. Alpine being on the whole a lot drier, they'd be pretty good I think (Again, if the fit agrees with you).

Though dickies gloves here:

http://www.tooled-up.com/product/dickies-mens-lined-leather-glove-tan-xl/16...

are pretty similar but with a cruder fit and slightly less warmth. They are also 1/2 the price though! I've a pair of each - the marmot's are a better, but the price differential means I only bought the marmots as they were reduced by c.40% in a sale!

As with most clothing, the fit is really key - the short cuff is my main gripe with them. If you've tried them on, and like the fit then they should be good.

Cheers,

Stu
 alasdair19 29 May 2013
In reply to ralphio: i like them, though I'm sure the cheaper versions work as well and I guess fit some hands better. I've used neoprene successfully in the alps though it does smell a bit. I'd recomend buffalo mits for backups as they weigh nothing.
ice.solo 29 May 2013
In reply to ralphio:

have a look at the OR airbrake gloves. different type of glove, but for actual dextrous climbing very nice.

work glove types ive never got along with other than for actual working, not being eitther warm enough for cold climbing or dextrous enough for warm climbing beyond caning up walkable stuff, or long rappelling where cheap garden gloves work as well.

be warned tho: airbrakes leave you with scarlet hands the first few wears, looks freaky.
 goose299 30 May 2013
In reply to StuDoig:
> (In reply to ralphio)
> Personally I'm not a huge fan. I find the cuff too short so end up with cold wrists, and though they are pretty water resistant, they don't dry too quickly if they do get wet (probably more a Scottish problem than a Alpine one!). I found them pretty cold once wet too. My other "light" gloves (seal skin winter things) were better and warmer in damp conditions.
>
> If they fit you though, they are warm, dexterous, pretty wind resistant and robust. I tend to use them to approach climbs or for non climbing days. That's in a Scottish winter context though.

I pretty much echo all of this

TobyA 30 May 2013
In reply to ralphio: lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/marmot-basic-work-glove-review.html?m=1 best gloves ever! If you can get them for about 20 euros they are v. Good value. Just used my new pair loads ski mountaineering in Arctic Norway.
 GarethSL 30 May 2013
In reply to ralphio:

I used a pair last summer for fieldwork. The leather is very thin for any really hard use, they freakin' stink after a modest period of use, the lining essentially disintegrates after a month or so and they soak up water and dirt like a sponge. I also found the fingertips wore out very quickly as did the seams.

That said I would probably go for another pair, just because they fitted me very nicely, were warm and cosy and were much less cumbersome (Read able to make super detailed sketches and diagrams without taking them off), than a pair of truckers gloves or builders gloves. Although if I do take another pair I will probably give them a gentle treatment with grangers or something.

Similarly the Exum work glove I was pretty unimpressed with, same issues with smell and how quickly they wear out. Although the two seasons of ice I got out of them wasn't too the £30 I spent on them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...