UKC

interview tips for trainee instructor job

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lantys Tarn 29 May 2013
Found out today that I've been offered an interview for a trainee instructor job in a centre. although I've always worked since school this will be my first 'official' Interview and I wondered if anyone has any tips, particularly people who work in the industry .?

Any help appreciated! Adam
 Dan Jam 29 May 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn: The usual advice of be yourself and show your keenness and you'll be fine. I used to work for Manor Adventure which was run by ex-army types so they tended to appreciate people who were self-disciplined and acted on their own initiative rather than always being told what to do. You could maybe think of examples which highlight this in you in case they ask? Good luck and let us know how you get on!
OP Lantys Tarn 29 May 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:

Cheers and will do
 Carolyn 29 May 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:

Also, probably wise to make it clear that you're keen on instructing, as well as doing personal stuff in the outdoors - there's clearly a difference, but I think a fair few apply for instructor jobs because they want to spend more time climbing/paddling/etc.
 isi_o 29 May 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:
Do your homework on the company - lots of people going for these types of job make lots of applications to different places, which is understandable but not very helpful when asked why you want to work for that specific place.
Don't be afraid to admit if you haven't much experience in a particular area.
Do let your enthusiasm for the outdoors and instructing shine through.
Unless it's a very different type of centre to the ones I've worked at over the years, don't show up in a suit! Smart outdoor clothing is usually best I would suggest and you'll feel like you fit in better straight away.
Make sure you go prepared with any questions you would like to ask about the company/ job etc. too.
Enjoy
OP Lantys Tarn 29 May 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:

Thanks Guys!

I was thinking along the same lines as both your comments but on the letter it does mention that for the "formal interview" part they expect "suitable attire"
 peas65 29 May 2013
In reply to Lantys Tarn:

I find that with outdoors jobs it hard to know how to dress especially as a girl.

Anyway.
Look keen, dont be afraid to be honest if you have no experience, better doing that than looking like an idiot later on. Willing to have a go at anything. Enjoy working with all age groups, or whatever the centre aims itself at.
Read up about the centre, whether its government funded or privately funded etc, ask a few questions such as possible training, courses.

Trainee jobs can be so different so make sure that you are getting a good one, with qualifications and training provided, some try to get away with just everything on site and pass outs which will not really help you in the long term.
 Yanis Nayu 29 May 2013
In reply to peas65:
> (In reply to Lantys Tarn)
>
> I find that with outdoors jobs it hard to know how to dress especially as a girl.

Agreed - I can never decide between tights and stockings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...