UKC

Camping tips from people who have obviously never been camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 07 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
Cut up a straw and fill the pieces up with antibiotic ointment or toothpaste for single-use packets.

Now that is good
 More-On 07 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: What a great mix of backpackinglight type minimalism and the bring everything car camping mentality! Made me laugh anyway...
 freerangecat 07 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

A lot of those are awful, but might steal the cones and toasted starburst ideas for Cubs!
OP d_b 07 Jun 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

"Also: Mountain Dew + baking soda + peroxide = lantern." Was particularly funny. Toxic and corrosive chemicals in a drinks bottle. What could possibly go wrong?

"If you’re going to be hiking, use this biodegradable trail-marking tape." also seemed a bit daft, as it's traditional to use prayer flags.
 Ramblin dave 07 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
WTF is trail marking tape?

And I love the image of being sent out into the woods to find kindling and coming back to explain that all the kindling was a bit damp but fortunately I managed to find a pack of Doritos...
 Nutkey 07 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

My "favourite" is the washing machine, on two counts.

a) Why the hell would I want a washing machine on a campsite? Anything truly noxious can be rinsed out in the sink/river. Normal levels of dirt don't need washing. That's what going home is for.
b) I consider myself fairly grungy, especially when camping, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I wash my clothes with a toilet plunger. Or am I supposed to be buying a new one!

Timmd 07 Jun 2013
In reply to More-On:
> (In reply to davidbeynon) What a great mix of backpackinglight type minimalism and the bring everything car camping mentality! Made me laugh anyway...

Some are quite niche and possibly unexpectedly handy, like the doritos for kindling, or the sage on a campfire to keep mosquitos away.

The plastic shampoo bottle oil lamp one is a bit worrying though.
 Cobbler 07 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

They don't mention the yak-train needed to carry all this crap!!

And speaking of crap... if it's an "emergency" I ain't got time to start
hacking up milk crates and building a loo!!

paul-1970 07 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

"Use Tic-Tac boxes to store spices"

Cos I've always found the lack of basil, cinnamon and marjoram while camping to be such a trip-killer.

And the floor tiles for the tent?! Maybe bring a caravan. Or stay at home..?
 trouserburp 07 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
16. Make candle stakes for romantic nighttime lighting

I just had to click on the get directions here. Turns out you put a hole in the candle and shove a stick in it, ingenious!

Why do people think they can use the word 'genius' as an adjective? Makes me sick
 trouserburp 07 Jun 2013
In reply to trouserburp:

I like the scavenger hunt list on the paper bag, #35:
1 - Stick
2 - Rocks
3 - Leaves

the top commenter is complaining that the above makes adults have horrible, horrible habits of trying to own nature that they will never be able to break. Far out
 Flinticus 07 Jun 2013
Hey, that tic tac spice box idea is good! I've a friend takes his own spices backpacking. The odd time I've gone with him, his food is lush.

The coffee filter idea, I might try that out.
 trouserburp 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

You know you can just buy coffee bags
 ripper 07 Jun 2013
In reply to trouserburp:
I like no. 15:
need a coffee? take some of these!
yeah, they're just sachets of coffee, I probably could have figured that one out all by myself...
In reply to davidbeynon:

It looks completely sane compared with the other DIY articles on the site:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyorley/7-amazing-wedding-dresses-made-out-of-to...
 Milesy 07 Jun 2013
the headtorch int a bottle isnt unusual. seen that in loads of places.
 richprideaux 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Biodegradeable ribbon stuff that normally comes in fluoro colours. Quite useful for travel in areas of dense woodland where if you go more than ten feet from the path you might not find it again. Having something bright to create a fixed point that you can take a back-bearing from or mark where you started searching from is quite helpful. Also gets used for marking trails or waymarks.

Not quite 'leave no trace', more 'eventually leave no trace'.
 mattrm 07 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

To be fair, some of the ideas aren't that bad. A couple are worth a try.
Jim C 08 Jun 2013
In reply to freerangecat:
> (In reply to davidbeynon)
>
> A lot of those are awful, but might steal the.....toasted starburst ideas for Cubs!

And have to explain cubs severe mouth burns to parents.

henwardian 08 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: Microfibre towel is a good idea, I think my quick drying camping towel is probably one of those. I would definitely try the headtorch + milk bottle for ambient light, might be fun.
Other than that, what an incredible load of rubbish!! (greatest wtf moment for me was the hammock picture).
 MJ 08 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

If you're camping next to the car, there is only one tip you need: Take anything and everything to make your trip as comfortable as possible.
If it fits in the car, why not? Tent you can stand up in, tables, chairs, mattresses, decent cooker etc. Only a mug would suffer un-necessarily
 MJ 08 Jun 2013
In reply to henwardian:

greatest wtf moment for me was the hammock picture

Why, they look pretty comfortable and probably are quite compact when folded.
They do remind me of a sex swing though...
 SFM 08 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

The cotton wool dipped in wax isn't a bad idea for Kelly kettle users.
Wonder how easy to light it would actually be though?

Straw+toothpaste definitely the best tip though.
andic 08 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Some cool ideas there, bit of a mix between car and light weight tips.

I lived in a tent for nearly a year and never considered trying to make myself uncomfortable.
 Swirly 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
> Hey, that tic tac spice box idea is good! I've a friend takes his own spices backpacking. The odd time I've gone with him, his food is lush.
>

Yeah when you're away for longer than a few days anything that can improve the taste of standard one pan grub is good with me. Perhaps some of the complainers 'have obviously never been camping'.
 Morgan Woods 08 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

hey...some of them are quite good!
 marsbar 08 Jun 2013
In reply to SFM: Cotton wool and alcohol hand gel might be better.
Emsee1 11 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Love the portable crapper, I is gonna get me one of those for my next camping trip. Needs a toilet roll holder though to attract those jealous looks from fellow campers.
 birdie num num 11 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
When I need a piss in the night, I normally do it into a rubber johnny so I don't have to go out in the cold. I carefully roll it out from under the flysheet and then completely disown it in the morning.
andymac 11 Jun 2013
In reply to birdie num num: littering?

citzens arrest.

you have right to remain silent num num
 JdotP 11 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Gosh, will need all of those things for going to Tajikistan!
 thin bob 11 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
Interesting, though largely bonkers...toothpaste and stuff already comes in fairly lightweight tubes from the manufacturer. Tictac spice boxes is neat..intrigued by the mountain dew thing (but would rather drink it & take a torch weighing 1/2)
 Andy Say 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
> Hey, that tic tac spice box idea is good! I've a friend takes his own spices backpacking. The odd time I've gone with him, his food is lush.
>

Agreed; I use old 35mm film tubs myself (can handle olive oil as well as dried herbs) but they are becoming harder to source.
 gethin_allen 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Andy Say:
> (In reply to Flinticus)
> [...]
>
>
> Agreed; I use old 35mm film tubs myself (can handle olive oil as well as dried herbs) but they are becoming harder to source.

I know people who do the same, a few simple spices weigh bugger all and can really help make a nice meal.
 Hat Dude 12 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

One item from this list that I think is useless is the double sleeping bag; being zipped together with your partner isn't my idea of comfortable.

None of the cosiness of your own pit or the benefits of a double bed.
Removed User 12 Jun 2013
In reply to birdie num num:
> (In reply to davidbeynon)
> When I need a piss in the night, I normally do it into a rubber johnny so I don't have to go out in the cold. I carefully roll it out from under the flysheet and then completely disown it in the morning.

That's what I do. I go to sleep with it on so I don't even need to wake up. It also serves a perfectly timed hot water bottle at the coldest part of the night.

OP: Bloody hell, I haven't even got that much stuff at home let alone on a camping trip.

PopShot 12 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: Get a water filter. Those ready meals for camping that you see in outdoor shops are all pretty grim so avoid!
 robin_hackney 13 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: Some of those ideas are really neat! Who knew Dorito's burnt. As for the foam tiles - snoop_6060 camps with a foamie and an airbed - he'll be all over the foam tiles going forward! Genius.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...