UKC

Moorland Grit - by train

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Liam Brown 07 Jun 2013
Was thinking of doing this this weekend but don't have a car at the moment. Where and how is this possible please? Places like Ravenstones, Standing Stones, Laddow, Shining Clough, and anywhere else people think might be nice for HS-E1 climbing this weekend. Don't mind some walking but no more than an hour would be nice. I think my girlfriend woudl prefer shorter still but I'm unconvinced this is possible.
 Red Rover 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Liam Brown: Pule hill is also doable for public transport. It's not as out there as the great crags in Chew, it's like a tough version of Windgather. Train to marsden then walk/hitch up. Probab;y not much less effort than just going to Chew though.
 cmgcmg 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Liam Brown:
Laddow is 45 minutes from crowden. You might be able to get a bus out of manchester to drop you off.

Shinning is more like 30 minutes. from near crowden.

Crowden is a good 2 hours walk from hadfield. Taxi from glossop would not be too much. Rank is just fown hill from station. Hitch back. Bikes from hadfield and lock them to the gate at the end of the track to shinning or at crowden camp site or youth hostel.

Laddow is well worth the effort for that grade range. Shinning get hard after a few routes, that said they are classics.

PontiusPirate 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Liam Brown:

Rob's Rocks and Dovestones Edge in Chew will be good at your stated grade range.
Where are heading from? A friend (whom I'll be meeting at Dovestones tomorrow) gets the bus from Oldham to Greenfield and then walks up.

PP.
 neilh 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Liam Brown:
I use to catch the bus to greenfield and then walk upto wimberry etc.
 cragtyke 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Liam Brown: Shooters Nab is well worth a visit from Marsden, or Pule Hill, i think there's a train from huddersield to manchester that stops at marsden
 Tom Valentine 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Liam Brown:
Getting off the train at Greenfield station will add 15 minutes' walk along Chew Valley Road to the Clarence, which is the terminus for the 180 bus from Manchester.
With the weather as it has been I would recommend Ravenstones unreservedly for your grade range and you might just get there in an hour or so from the Clarence.
 heleno 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Liam Brown: Yellowslacks could be reached from Glossop station.

Wherever you go I hope you have a grat day!
 colinnave 08 Jun 2013
In reply to Liam Brown:
Buxworth Railway Crag is in the Definitive Climbers Guide to Moorland Gritstone.
 Alex Thompson 09 Jun 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:
Greenfield station to Dovestones took me an hour yesterday (inc. stop off for cash and toilet stop at the car park).
 Alex Thompson 09 Jun 2013
In reply to Liam Brown: There is a 951 day tripper summer bus service from Glossop to Huddersfield that passes through Crowden.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...