UKC

Anyone else have this problem with SIlva compasses?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
PopShot 19 Jun 2013
I've owned many Silva type 4 compasses over the years and they all have the same bloody infuriating flaw. The little notches on the bezel rub off leaving the compass completely useless for taking bearings. This happens with ordinary use in quite a short time. I'm sick of having to replace them. I probably should be sending them back! Has this happened with anybody else?
 jezb1 19 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot: No, never and I use mine a fair bit.
 Cameron94 19 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot: No.
This has happened to none of the three silva compass I have. Send it back and I'm sure they could put new notches/paint on.
 deepstar 19 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot: If you look on internet sale sites you can sometimes find the old style ones with alluminium bezels like I used when I learnt to navigate at school.
PopShot 19 Jun 2013
In reply to All: I've just found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R111RXK846WR8V/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R111RXK8...

Looks like others do have the same problem.
 MLC 19 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot:

Yes I've had this problem! Emailed Silva and never got a reply.

Since then I keep my replacement compass in a home made pouch (from bit of sit on mat thing and electrical tape)

So far so good. I was assuming it was from the original compass rubbing against other things in my bag
PopShot 19 Jun 2013
In reply to MLC:
> (In reply to PopShot)
>
> Yes I've had this problem! Emailed Silva and never got a reply.
>
> Since then I keep my replacement compass in a home made pouch (from bit of sit on mat thing and electrical tape)
>
> So far so good. I was assuming it was from the original compass rubbing against other things in my bag
>

Yes it seems to be when I put the compass in a pocket in my clothing or rucsack that it happens. I would have hoped that a Silva compass would be a little bit more durable that that! I'll try making or buying a case to keep it in and see if it works for me too. I read on the Amazon link that it's a common problem and that Silva deny theres an issue and refuse to listen to peoples complaints. Terrible
 butteredfrog 19 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot:

Silva sent me a replacement last time.
PopShot 19 Jun 2013
In reply to butteredfrog:
> (In reply to PopShot)
>
> Silva sent me a replacement last time.
>

I'll try contacting them. It's been happening to me for about 10 years. You would think they would resolve the issue by changing the paint they use in some way but it seems they aren't going to.
Simon Wells 19 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot:

Yep, my personal ones last about two years'ish and the work ones slightly less. Silva UK has replaced a number before they declined. Such a shame to see a decent product go down hill.

So what to use instead?
PopShot 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Simon Wells:
> (In reply to PopShot)
>
> Yep, my personal ones last about two years'ish and the work ones slightly less. Silva UK has replaced a number before they declined. Such a shame to see a decent product go down hill.
>
> So what to use instead?

I've been considering Suunto or Recta compasses.
PopShot 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Simon Wells:
> (In reply to PopShot)
>
> Yep, my personal ones last about two years'ish and the work ones slightly less. Silva UK has replaced a number before they declined. Such a shame to see a decent product go down hill.
>
>

Do you mean they started declining to replace them?
 Green Porridge 20 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to Simon Wells)
> [...]
>
> Do you mean they started declining to replace them?

Does the amount of declination vary with the position of magnetic north?

sbc23 20 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot:

I've found that 100% DEET (midge repellant) on your hands melts all the stuff of the plastic on silva compasses. That's not the cause is it?

Steve
 kyaizawa 20 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot: I've had it happen to one of mine and seen it happen to several others belonging to friends/colleagues.

I've now switched to the Type 15TDCL, and I think the Type 54 doesn't suffer the same problem, so it is an option??
cb294 20 Jun 2013
In reply to sbc23:

DEET is lethal for several types of plastic. A friend had a BIC firelighter explode in his hands that was dissolved by some Finnish nuclear midge repellent. Fortunately he was wearing his motorbike gloves and helmet.

CB
PopShot 20 Jun 2013
In reply to sbc23: I never use DEET.
 deepstar 20 Jun 2013
 Skol 20 Jun 2013
In reply to PopShot:
Happened to mine too. Between 360 and 5 degrees. Fortunately, I'm not that good at adhering to bearings, so i just guesstimate and put it down to user error if I get slightly lost!
PopShot 20 Jun 2013
 roddyp 20 Jun 2013
In reply to deepstar: I'd have thought the solid base to the housing makes lining it up on the map bit of a pain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...