UKC

Waterproof Running Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J Brown 20 Jun 2013
Hello All,

I'm thinking of investing in a good quality lightweight waterproof running jacket - just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Hoping for something that can handle long days in the hills, light, comfy to run in, waterproof and reasonably breathable.

I tend to use a lightweight Montane Featherlight pertex top, which I really like, but it's not waterproof. The new jacket would be something that I'd probably save for bad conditions rather than everyday use to prolong it's life.

Probably aiming to spend £100-£150, any advice, tips for good deals etc gratefully received.

Cheers!

Jamie.
 Simon Caldwell 20 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown:
Montane Minimus. The only lighweight waterproof that's ever kept me dry.
 Run_Ross_Run 20 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown:

This got a good review in a mag recently.

http://run.runandbecome.com/running-product-reviews/clothing/review-ronhill...

Can't help thinking you may want to look for an event or G'tex for all day use though.

If you want to use it all day then good ventilation will help if conditions changeable.

I've got the Marmot Super Mica and so far its been pretty good.
 ablackett 20 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown: A lot of people like the OMM kamleika. I have just got one and it's good. Pockets big enough for map or ventilation, good hood. Waterproof in shocking weather all day on it's first trip out. Stretchy and realy nice to wear. It's heavier than some, at about 220g (I think).

Indy 20 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown:
Reasonably breathable and running jacket in my experience are mutually exclusive. eVent takes a better crack at breathability than Goretex but couldn't recommend anything specific.

If budget allows why not get a cheaper running jacket and a separate rest of the day jacket?
 gear boy 20 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown: At that price point go for Montane minimus smock or jacket or Marmot Mica type product, for more all day comfort a superlight 3 layer active shell will be more comfortable due to the scrim on the inside helping with claminess comfort, but higher priced

HTH
ruttingstag 20 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown: innov8 storm shield £135 from wiggle.com
 steveriley 20 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown:
I've got the Montane Minimus jacket and it works well. Light, moves with you, hood you can run in, packs small. This year I think they've split it into 2 models - a really minimal smock and a jacket that's put on a bit of weight, adding pockets. The Innov-8 looks great too and has a nice non-crinkly feel.
 StefanB 21 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown:

The Raidlight models are incredibly lightweight and are really good value for money.
 mike123 21 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown: i got our lass a patagucci M10 because she was carrying a full on hardshell (with no intention of wearing it)for kit checks at races, it weighs about 230g and is a thing of beauty. i got it for £150 in a sale. when she opened it i m sure she thought "great, but i wont wear it", she now raves about it.
In reply to J Brown:
Halof endo smock.
The zip on the jacket is rubbish I wish I had got the smock.
The jacket is comfortable to run in all day and I have not yet managed to sweat it out!
Removed User 21 Jun 2013
In reply to Darren09:
> (In reply to J Brown)
>
> This got a good review in a mag recently.
>
> http://run.runandbecome.com/running-product-reviews/clothing/review-ronhill...
>
> Can't help thinking you may want to look for an event or G'tex for all day use though.
>
> If you want to use it all day then good ventilation will help if conditions changeable.

I've got one of these. The issue I have with it is that the fabric isn't breathable and the only ventilation you get with it is the vent in the back. No underarm zips. I've had it out in the hills a lot but not in heavy rain so can't comment on it's waterproofness. Otherwise I like it, it's a nice fit, it's wind proof and very light. The full length zip does mean that you can wear it all day and adjust ventilation by having it open at the front or closed to some extent, but only if it's not raining.

OP J Brown 21 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown:

Thanks everyone. Lots of food for thought here!
Gearfreak 21 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown:

http://search.snowandrock.com/sport/Ueli%20Steck

Or you could go for the ferrari of waterproofs. Ueli Steck's Blazar jacket seems to have a balance between weight, durability and air permeability.
trollman 21 Jun 2013
In reply to J Brown:
Haglofs ozo smock jacket, I only use it for really cold wet days running up high or on bike.
T
OP J Brown 21 Jun 2013
In reply to Gearfreak:

That looks very nice indeed, but rather beyond my budget!

I'm probably currently leaning towards the Inov8 150 Stormshell.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...