UKC

7a in Kent 'chimera' on bottom rope???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 payney1973 17 Jul 2013
Is this still considered an attempt, this dude is claiming 7th ascent, now I'm no 7a climber so I think his climb is impressive, but I'm sure it wouldn't go down as an attempt anywhere else???
 dr_botnik 17 Jul 2013
In reply to payney1973: The friable nature of sandstone means traditional protection is banned at such crags to preserve the climbs for future generations. Until someone either solos this or highballs above pads, toproping is the most 'ethical' manner to climb it, and an impressive feat at that!
 stonemaster 17 Jul 2013
In reply to payney1973: By SS standards yes. He hasn't claimed a solo. There are only 3 ways of climbing southern sandstone, bottom roped, solo or levitation. And that's British 7a by the way, none of your namby pamby continental stuff...
 Blue Straggler 17 Jul 2013
In reply to stonemaster:

I always loved that they used a Laura Veirs song on that!
 stonemaster 17 Jul 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: Great soundtrack
OP payney1973 18 Jul 2013
In reply to payney1973: fair play, as I said very impressive ascent and the guy TBH makes it look easy, just wasn't aware of the SS rules/ethics.
Cheers for the enlightenment.
 The Pylon King 18 Jul 2013
In reply to dr_botnik:

Seems a bit odd to me. there are many climbs on the Forest of Dean sandstone that cannot be protected due to the similar nature of the rock and the only notable ascents are solos.
 Mick Ward 18 Jul 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:

Local effics mate, local effics! Besides everyone knows that those Forest of Deanie guys are brick hard... well, harder than the rock, anyway.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...