UKC

Prospective employers and online application forms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
It just occurred to me that it has taken me nearly 3 weeks to apply to one position, mainly due to other commitments. In the meantime I have received 3 emails from the company, kindly reminding me that I have yet to finish the application form.

Does this mean that the company can see the way in which I have filled in the form? Spent a certain amount of time on this, and on that. Or just that I've copied and pasted it all in? Where I decided to skip the first time round?

I suspect all these actions could be easily perceived in different ways by the potential employers, do you reckon they would take it into account (if they do have access to this information)? If they do, do we need to be more careful while filling these forms in? Showing 'keeness' for the position through quick filling in and sending, but not too quick that its obviously copy and paste?

Have I thought about this too much?
Removed User 18 Jul 2013
In reply to The Green Giant:

These were personalised emails to you?

I'd highly suspect the forms are submitted to a script (read as: a computer program, not a human) that checks that all fields are filled in and sends emails until either the form is filled in completely or it hits an email limit.
 Ridge 18 Jul 2013
We have a similar system for internal vacancies. This just logs when you downloaded the form, when you submitted it, when shortlisting was carried out, when acceptance/rejection letter sent etc.

Highly unlikely some HR bod is avidly watching you type stuff in.
In reply to Removed User:

Yes, but what's saying there isn't any information going to them along with the information on the form saying how long I've spent on each section, which section was filled in first and other bits of information about how I filled the form in? Surely that's quite easily doable?

Could this information be used to perceive a personality of a person, or their work ethic?
 MG 18 Jul 2013

> Have I thought about this too much?

Yes. What you write is what matters.
Removed User 18 Jul 2013

No. (I wrote a bigger answer than this, but it's not necessary)

Scomuir 18 Jul 2013
Imagine how it would be working for a company that actually did that.
KevinD 18 Jul 2013

> Yes, but what's saying there isn't any information going to them along with the information on the form saying how long I've spent on each section, which section was filled in first and other bits of information about how I filled the form in? Surely that's quite easily doable?

in theory, yes. Be a pain to set up and make decent use of results.

Well that was short lived, Ex0, thank you for your contribution to this thread...

I've not done much in the way of HR so I'm not sure what lengths people go through to sort out the employable to the non employable out of their applications. It seems strange that they don't use that as a seconadary bit of information and yet they will go check someone's Facebook.
 hokkyokusei 18 Jul 2013

>
> Could this information be used to perceive a personality of a person, or their work ethic?

It could be, but I bet it isn't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...