UKC

Cateye computer problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jules699 20 Jul 2013
My Cateye velo wireless has been playing up lately. I've replaced computer and sensor batteries but I end up with ERROR on it. Any ideas? Its not mega new but not old either. V annoying. Troubleshoot doesn't give any answers...
interdit 20 Jul 2013
In reply to jules699:
> I've replaced computer and sensor batteries but I end up with ERROR on it.

Have you re-paired the sensor ID with the device? You need to on some models after a battery change.

Also, check the basics - eg. Has the wheel magnet been knocked or moved and is no longer triggering the sensor properly?
 Run_Ross_Run 20 Jul 2013
In reply to interdit:

Same problem (apart from error msg). Its brand new, fitted by the LBS and never worked. Moved sensor and still no good. The bikes going back in 2 weeks for its 1st service so will hopefully get sorted then.
OP jules699 20 Jul 2013
In reply to interdit: Oh I didn't know this. Havent had to re-pair in past. Positions all ok.
OP jules699 20 Jul 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run: Oh dear. Good luck!
interdit 20 Jul 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Have you tried resetting it ('AC' button on the back - guessing here because it will depend upon exact model) - then follow the set up procedure in the manual?

Part of the set up procedure is likely to be sensor pairing.

Have you checked the battery is installed properly in the sensor and that there is no 'battery saver' film in there (designed to stop battery running down whilst sitting on a shelf in the shop).

Always worth trying a new battery in the sensor - If there was no film in there then quite possible it has died whilst on the shelf in the shop.

ps - To both you and the OP. Exact model numbers always help on a thread like this - then we can look at the correct online manual.
 Run_Ross_Run 20 Jul 2013
In reply to interdit:
Good man.
Its a velo vt200w.
Didnt think to check the battery bit. Just presumed as the lbs had fitted it themselves it wouldve been checked.
Will do it.
interdit 20 Jul 2013
In reply to jules699:

eg, for model CC-AT200W

During set up - After entering the tyre circumference:

Set the sensor ID
Hold the computer body close to the sensor (20
- 70cm), and press and hold the RESET but-
ton on the sensor with a sharp object. Sensor
will randomly generate an ID number for the
computer body to receive, and displays on the
screen. If successfully synchronized, screen will
automatically move on to Clock setting screen.

**When setting the sensor ID, place the sensor at least 20 cm (approxi-
mately 8 inches) away from the computer. Press and hold the RESET button, the sensor will send the ID when releasing the button.

**The computer is on standby for 5 minutes while setting the sensor ID. It displays “ERROR”, and cancels the ID when no ID signal is received during the standby, or you press MODE and SSE simultaneously. Screen will move on to clock setting. Without the ID, speed cannot be detected and displayed. Be sure to set the sensor ID according to “Sensor ID setting” on the menu screen.
interdit 20 Jul 2013
> (In reply to interdit)
> Its a velo vt200w.

According to the manual you don't need to do the pairing thing, so if you've run through the troubleshooting checklist and also eliminated any battery issues then definitely get the shop to look at it.

andymac 20 Jul 2013
In reply to jules699:

mine is fooked as well

I get a flashing horseshoe symbol mid screen ,which the instructions say refers to the Battery.

Bought it in a noted Glasgow bike shop and they have been very helpful thus far. gave me a couple of free batteries to try for starters.

Havent got round to changing them yet
OP jules699 22 Jul 2013
In reply to jules699: No mention of pairing in my instructions either. Its a CC-VT200W.
interdit 22 Jul 2013
In reply to jules699:

You've reached the limit of my knowledge & experience of Cateye kit.

The support page is here.
http://www.cateye.com/uk/support/

They suggest contacting your local dealer. If you struggle to find that dealer then email customer.services@zyro.co.uk

Good luck.
ps. If that fails then I often find that chasing a company down (politely) on facebook or twitter will get someone to help you quite quickly.
 Andrew W 22 Jul 2013
In reply to jules699: Have you made sure that the wheel magnet lines up with the mark on the sensor, also if you slowly rotate the magnet past the sensor you should be able to hear a fairly quite click as the sensor is tripped.
 Run_Ross_Run 22 Jul 2013
In reply to interdit:

DOH!! 'there is no 'battery saver' film in there' I was a bit intoxicated when you replied with this the other night.

It must have been removed when they installed it as the display is working, it just doesn't register when the wheel is turned.

The sensor is no way less then 5mm from the magnet and i cant see how moving the sensor up or down the forks will help get it any closer. Nmind its going back so all will be well soon i hope.
 Andrew W 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run: You should be able to twist the sensor closer to the magnet by just rotating the sensor in the rubber mount bit, mine normally sits about 2mm away from the magnet and seems to record fine only issue is that very rough roads can lead to the magnet twisting and hitting the sensor
 stonewall 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Andrew W:

i finally gave up on them after at least six purchases. bought a garmin instead but even that conks out now and then in the rain..
interdit 22 Jul 2013
> (In reply to interdit)
>
> DOH!! 'there is no 'battery saver' film in there' I was a bit intoxicated when you replied with this the other night.
>
> It must have been removed when they installed it as the display is working, it just doesn't register when the wheel is turned.

This is wireless? So you checked the battery in the wheel sensor?

ps. As per the chap above, I gave up on Cateye (and Specialized + several other bike computers) ages ago and have used a Garmin for a long time now.
The reason I know quite a bit about a variety of bike computers is that I wasted so much time trying to make some crappy bits of kit work.
 Run_Ross_Run 22 Jul 2013
In reply to interdit:
> (In reply to Run_Ross_Run)
> [...]
>
> This is wireless? So you checked the battery in the wheel sensor?
>
DOH! DOH! Another hand slap in the forehead moment. What did I think it was powered by!! Fairy dust?
Will check that in the morn.
Jeezzz and they let me loose with car keys.

OP jules699 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Andrew W: Yes - this is all good. I have 2 other Cateye computers. Are they inter changeable with existing sensor? I know Cateye would say no cos they want to make money.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...