UKC

Shiel Bridge shop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 12 Aug 2013
Planning a (first) trip to Glen Shiel next month and starting to think about how much food etc. I need to bring with me. I will be camping at the Shiel Bridge campsite and travelling by bus.

How good is the nearby shop? Is it a newsagents with a few chocolate bars and crisps, or is it a mini supermarket people can use to restock halfway through the week?

Cheers all!
aultguish 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill: it's basically a wee garage shop about the size of a local newsagent but it does however, stock a fair old bit, probably all that you'd need whilst at the site.
Enjoy, it's a fantastic area
 JohnnyW 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

It's a wee shop Alex, but it has all the basic needs. I do seem to recall it being VERY expensive, but saw my small contribution as assisting the local community
I must admit to normally stocking up at FW Morrisons on the way as a rule....

First trip to Glenshiel? Cracking area
 JohnnyW 12 Aug 2013
In reply to aultguish:
> (In reply to Only a hill) it's basically a wee garage shop about the size of a local newsagent but it does however, stock a fair old bit, probably all that you'd need whilst at the site.
> Enjoy, it's a fantastic area

Ha, just a minute behind you Johnny!
 Jamie B 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

> How good is the nearby shop? Is it a newsagents with a few chocolate bars and crisps, or is it a mini supermarket people can use to restock halfway through the week?

It's something in between, if it hasn't changed I reckon you could survive from it but choice would be limited. Most locals drive to the Co-Op in Kyle for shopping, tends to be any easy-ish hitch and there are buses too.

OP Only a hill 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Thanks a lot everyone, you've told me exactly what I need to know!

It is indeed my first trip to Glen Shiel and I'm looking forward to it. Strangely I've found that since moving away from the Highlands I have found more opportunities to go to new places and climb some new Munros...
 kwoods 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill: Agree with all that's said. It's got a lot of stuff, not everything, but I think you'd be sorted for the most part.
aultguish 12 Aug 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:
Great minds and all that
Second Morrison's in Fort William, now it does have everything!

Enjoyed the pics and reports from your recent Alpine jaunt JW, hopefully see you all soon for a beer and to listen to the war stories )
 d_b 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

As others have said, the shop is fine but small.

If you are camping then take a head net and flamethrower. It's the midgiest camp site I have ever stayed at outside of Skye!
In reply to kwoods:
> (In reply to Only a hill) Agree with all that's said. It's got a lot of stuff, not everything, but I think you'd be sorted for the most part.

Well done on your Munro round by the way Kevin - it's been inspiring to follow!
Jimbo W 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Haven't been for a few weeks, but the shop is pricey, and quite often has very empty shelves, but as others say, does have a wide range of stuff in stock. Further on there are two options: the Glenelg shop, or on the way to Kyle there is Balmacara stores. The latter you could probably get to deliver to the campsite on a Friday (put order in Thursday 1st am), so if that suits, you could give them a ring!
 Siward 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill: it is small, as others have said, but stocks fresh veg and the essentials. Enough for a few days supply.

Now, the saddle from the North is a fantastic lesser trodden route and you can incorporate/leave out the forcan ridge as you prefer.
 JohnnyW 12 Aug 2013
In reply to aultguish:
> (In reply to JohnnyW)
>
> Enjoyed the pics and reports from your recent Alpine jaunt JW, hopefully see you all soon for a beer and to listen to the war stories )

Yeah, it all went very well indeed. Kept well within our grades, but it meant every route went to plan with no scary stuff for the guys....well, not too much anyway
drmarten 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
You're screwed, no wifi
Enjoy Glen Shiel, I've spent a bit of time up there recently (just back yesterday) and repeating the Munros in the area I think I've saved the best for last - the Forcan Ridge. The only down side is any road tramp along the A87 - moreso for you if you are returning to the campsite and not to a car parked in a layby. I used the bus timetable to get returned to my car even if the driver gave me chapter and verse about why he might not be able to drop me off between stops. Having said that I'd rather be on the bus trying to get off between stops than between stops trying to get on if you know what I mean. I've also hitched in the last month and in June had to walk back the six miles to my car along the road.
You're at the right side of the Glen hospitality wise, the Cluanie Inn is a strange place, it's just not welcoming. The Kintail Lodge Hotel is far better but that's only my opinion. I hope it has quietened by next month as the Highlands seem very busy at the moment.
Beware the Cluanie Curtain!
 Simon Caldwell 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:
> the shop is pricey, and quite often has very empty shelves

No idea about prices. We went in there at the end of May last year, and the shelves were so empty we couldn't find enough for a decent meal. Drove to the Co-op in Kyle of Lochalsh instead.
In reply to Jimbo W:
> (In reply to Only a hill)
>
> Haven't been for a few weeks, but the shop is pricey, and quite often has very empty shelves, but as others say, does have a wide range of stuff in stock. Further on there are two options: the Glenelg shop, or on the way to Kyle there is Balmacara stores. The latter you could probably get to deliver to the campsite on a Friday (put order in Thursday 1st am), so if that suits, you could give them a ring!

Thanks for the tip.
In reply to drmarten:
> (In reply to Only a hill)
> You're screwed, no wifi

Damn On a serious note, anyone know if the Kintail Lodge Hotel has wifi non-residents can use? It's not a big deal but would be good to know.

> Enjoy Glen Shiel, I've spent a bit of time up there recently (just back yesterday) and repeating the Munros in the area I think I've saved the best for last - the Forcan Ridge. The only down side is any road tramp along the A87 - moreso for you if you are returning to the campsite and not to a car parked in a layby. I used the bus timetable to get returned to my car even if the driver gave me chapter and verse about why he might not be able to drop me off between stops. Having said that I'd rather be on the bus trying to get off between stops than between stops trying to get on if you know what I mean. I've also hitched in the last month and in June had to walk back the six miles to my car along the road.

Having spend many a lonely hour attempting to hitchhike in Glencoe I can emphathise with this! I'm used to trying to flag down the 915, and road walking if unsuccessful, so it'll be just like the old days

> You're at the right side of the Glen hospitality wise, the Cluanie Inn is a strange place, it's just not welcoming. The Kintail Lodge Hotel is far better but that's only my opinion.

I thought this might be the case. Stopped off at the Cluanie once on the way to Skye and it certainly seemed an odd sort of place.
 kwoods 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill: Speaking of hitch hiking in Glen Coe I stumbled by this after walking the length of Glen Coe, up and down Bidean but no summit and all the way back.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/935320_4461123954792...

I just had to laugh.

I spent quite a lot of time in Glen Shiel this summer, did the North Ridge from Ciste Dhubh to Sgurr Fhuaran and spent half an hour trying to hitch from the parking.... eventually a couple girls picked me up and they weren't to know I'd just waded the river to my waist..... they were very understanding.

Can't remember if Kintail Lodge had wifi though to be honest almost everywhere does. I can't remember one place that didn't have wifi off the top of my head, and I stopped by a fair few places this summer. The only problem is when they say "yes we have wifi" and the router is total bollocks.

Interesting about the Cluanie. I left parcels of food in April to collect at all these places. Knowing the Cluanie's reputation, I wondered how difficult it would be to leave a parcel. They took one without hesitation, without requesting I stay a night (couldn't afford to stay there anyway!). I never picked my parcel up at Kintail Lodge .. better give them a call!!

So I was pretty impressed by the Cluanie on that occasion, then facepalmed it a bit when my pal asked for a few slices of bread, just to make up becuase he had butter and jam or something in his van. They charged full restaurant prices for a few bits of bread .... I wondered how the girl could stand there straight faced.

Anyway im off in a tangent.
 felt 12 Aug 2013
 Wesley Orvis 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

The shop was very poorly stocked when we were there last October, although we had the camp site to ourselves which was nice.
In reply to kwoods:
> (In reply to Only a hill) Speaking of hitch hiking in Glen Coe I stumbled by this after walking the length of Glen Coe, up and down Bidean but no summit and all the way back.
>
> https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/935320_4461123954792...
>
> I just had to laugh.

Classic
 Fat Bumbly2 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill: Have you seen all those bones piled up at the side of the road on the way out of Fort William?

KLH does have wifi.
 Nathan Adam 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill: If you are travelling by bus from Glasgow or Edinburgh then the buses normally have a 45 minute(ish) lay over in Fort William so you can stock up in either Morrisons or Lidl (my preferred place) and not have any distance to really carry the shopping as the bus literally stops outside the Shiel Bridge campsite so just as easy as getting stuff from the campsite would be.

Don't know about hitching towards the bridge (as for Kyle) but i know i've never struggled with it on Skye. Have a good trip !
 gerryneely 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
> Planning a (first) trip to Glen Shiel next month and starting to think about how much food etc. I need to bring with me. I will be camping at the Shiel Bridge campsite and travelling by bus.
>
> How good is the nearby shop? Is it a newsagents with a few chocolate bars and crisps, or is it a mini supermarket people can use to restock halfway through the week?
>
> Cheers all!

Locals call the owner 'John the Robber' for a good reason! He also owns the campsite. Inverinate garage has better choice, more welcoming and it's cheaper. Only a couple of miles away.
 Jamie B 13 Aug 2013
In reply to gerryneely:

> Inverinate garage has better choice, more welcoming and it's cheaper. Only a couple of miles away.

Four miles actually, if you're going to that much effort I'd head for Kyle.

The inescapable truth is that trips to the Highlands are significantly easier with a car.

OP Only a hill 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
As I gradually explore more areas of the Highlands, eventually I'm bound to want to go places where a car really is essential ... fortunately at the moment public transport serves me (reasonably) well. Just takes a bit of planning and preparation, and not a little patience

On the plus side, I've been poring over the map of Glen Shiel and I can already tell this is going to be a good trip!
 Jamie B 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Only a hill:

Get started on the lessons now - it's not a quick process!

Shiel Bridge is not a bad hub at all, it was where I cut my teeth as a local (car-less) teenager making my first steps amongst the hills. Most of the hills are fairly roadside and the early bus to Cluanie is your friend, as I remember well!

Unfortunately it does have to be said that for some reason the Glenshiel road seems to be one of the least helpful in the Highlands for getting a hitch! Not entirely sure why not, but I've had some long walks back in the day..
 kwoods 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Jamie B: I would be surprised that you say that, but now I can testify given the streams of cars that passed and the foreign tourists who seemed to think I was waving at them..

Pretty nice that Glen Shiel was your first stomping ground.... bit different to Arrochar!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...