UKC

Support work under stress - coping strategies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 18 Aug 2013
Looking for a bit of inspiration and guidance...

I've recently started working in a residential support work role. It is a complete change from previous professional experience.

I am enjoying the role but I have to regularly work with what feels like some challenging situations where dealing with strong behaviours (from those I am supporting) coincides with the requirement to observe procedure and maintain a mindful approach.

When tired, and there is no opportunity to get away, I am conscious of reduced personal resource in these areas and would like to understand more about ways to handle or ideally avoid this.

I am aware that this is all still very new to me and that stress is therefore natural however some indication that I can expect improvements would feel positive.

For now my main coping strategies are seeking not to become invested in situations, do 1 thing at a time (in the heat of the moment I can feel like I'm having to do 3 things simultaneously and am concerned that it's easy to lose track of or forget things) and ensuring I take opportunities for breaks away from the 'frontline' e.g. driving by myself or doing paperwork and that I get good sleep (I'm working 15 hour shifts).

I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences in this area and of any worthwhile reading on the subject.

Thanks.
 tlm 18 Aug 2013
In reply to ksjs:

I worked in a residential support role for a number of years and left in the end, because it is pretty hard! Mind you, I was only in my 20s at the time. Maybe I would find it easier now? (I'm not sure that I would!) I found the shifts very hard - they disrupted my sleep patterns quite a lot.

The thing is, you DO care about the people you work with, and it is hard to detach yourself from that...

Your strategies sound like excellent ones. Also, what are your work colleagues like and what sort of support is there on offer to you from them or through your work? It there any?

I guess you just need to remember that any behaviour isn't actually personal and that the people that you are working with have their own stuff going on - they probably have seen a lot of staff come and go over the years and know that you won't be in their lives in 10 year time...

Good luck!

The Norris 18 Aug 2013
In reply to ksjs:

If you havent already got it, try and ask for some feedback sessions with other staff members - you should try and discuss any difficult situations you've come across in the workplace. It may help having other people's input and perspective on events.

Its something i wish i had done more of when i was a support worker. In the end i tried to carry the weight of it all by myself.... needless to say that strategy didnt work for me and i ended up leaving an interesting (but stressful) job.
OP ksjs 19 Aug 2013
In reply to tlm: Thanks for your post - I'm a bit older so maybe that helps (or maybe it doesn't in that I'm very clear on what I can / can't accept?)

I work with some really good people and the whole style is designed to be therapeutic which includes 'reflective practice' between staff at the end of every shift to discuss and note what went well / didn't go well and what's been learned.

There is ample opportunity for me to discuss my thoughts but I guess how you respond to stress triggers is a very subjective thing i.e. some people may be cool about doing 3 things at once whilst also thinking about 3 others. Right now I'm not sure I am but I believe that with further experience I will be '3 steps ahead' and so less reactive.

Your point on people having their own stuff going on is so true. It is very easy to forget that the individuals I'm working with may have had life experiences that could utterly break many of us. It is important to keep this in mind.
OP ksjs 19 Aug 2013
In reply to The Norris: There's support available but you have to ask, that's not a criticism it's simply that everyone's busy. I know I like feedback as I want to feel that I'm performing to a good standard and I also know I need to air my thoughts to help get a handle on how others view or tackle the things I'm dealing with.

Maybe what I should take from your post is that I need to accept that I need support in various forms and should be more proactive in seeking it as, despite my best intentions, you can't do it all on your own?

I'm possibly being very naive but I feel that although it has at points been stressful this has helped me grow more on a personal level than I could have expected. I hope and believe this growth and learning will continue and will help address the cause of and response to stresses.
 marsbar 19 Aug 2013
In reply to ksjs: I found that that kind of work was a "work hard, play hard, sleep long" situation.

Make sure when you aren't on shift you take time to go climbing, or whatever, keeping up the exercise is vital. So is rest time. Not as easy when you are older if you have more commitments.

Keep a pad of post it notes around and use them to note down details you might forget.

Take time to relax and build relationships on the frontline if at all possible. Don't hide in the office, have a cup of tea with your residents. Building positive relationships with them will make your life a lot easier. Them seeing you chilled out and being able to relax may help them relax and diffuse things.

For the future, as a team look at what triggers situations and when, look for patterns in behaviour, etc. Watch other members of staff and how they do (or don't!) handle difficult situations.
 marsbar 19 Aug 2013
In reply to marsbar: Also understand that there is no point in reasoning with or getting angry at a distressed or angry person, wait for them to calm down, help them calm down, discuss the behaviour later on when they are calm.

marsbar 19 Aug 2013
In reply to marsbar: http://www.supernanny.co.uk/Advice/-/Parenting-Skills/-/Discipline-and-Rewa...

Although this is for small kids, the principals are useful.
OP ksjs 19 Aug 2013
In reply to marsbar: Thanks for the posts but I was really after suggestions about how to centre myself when it's all going off rather than day to day working techniques.
 marsbar 19 Aug 2013
In reply to ksjs: Oh sorry. Don't know about that. I think I'm more about the practicalities myself, not much to add to what you already said.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...