UKC

Anyone own or has owned a Nissan Pathfinder?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking for a big family wagon, this seems like a good cheaper alternative to the premium brands ( Disco 4's and GL350s )

A resonable mileage 2010 Tekna (top of the range) can be had for around £17k which is about £10-13k cheaper than the models above for same age.

Seems to have all the bells and whistles but apparently lacks refinement in the engine and handling capacity (which doesn't really bother me too much)

interested if anyone has any personal experience of them?

Thx in advance
 Stuart S 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:

I've had one for about 5 years now. Bought it when it had done 33k and just about to hit 100k now. In that time, I've had very few problems with it, have enjoyed driving it and would happily buy another one.

I average about 32-33mpg, it's got me everywhere I want it to take me in wintery conditions without any problem at all, it's handled all the loads I've filled it with. I've slept in the back of it on climbing trips (I'm 6'3").

It does feel a bit wallowy in the corners but it's still got a bit of poke for overtaking.

The only significant repair bills I have for it have been for a leak in the coolant system (there's a poor bit of design where a coolant pipe runs to the rear of the vehicle and its location makes it prone to corrosion, and it's a fortune in labour to replace), and a couple of wheel bearing replacements. Other than that, it's just been the usual wear and tear.
 colina 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: £17000 for a car ..you must be mad ..get a second hand shogun 500 quid max
In reply to Stuart S: Thx for the response. I'm not worried about wallowing in corners and thx for the advice on the coolant pipe...will get a mechanic friend to maybe take a look at that if i find one to buy. Yes, they seem cavernous which is what I want... a go anywhere that can handle 3 kids/dog/camping equipment/bikes etc...seem reliable too.
 butteredfrog 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:

Have a look at Toyota Landcruser Amazon as well.
 jayferg76 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: I drive a Navara, basically the same car but with a big loading bay instead of the two extra back seats and a boot. It's got the hard top on and it's about 1500mmsq, so plenty of room for gear in it (mine carries two Great Danes and they have loads of room).

I won't have anything else now, it's a great drive and excellent in mud and snow. Very comfy, plenty of room in the back for the kids and being the Aventura model, Which i think the Tekna has replaced, it has all the gadgets as well. Not the most economical car about, but at 28mpg i don't think it's bad.
Don't know if it's true, but i was told that it's cheaper on tax as well. Something to do with it being classed as a commercial vehicle apparently.
In reply to jayferg76: The wife won't sanction a pick up unfortunately...even with a hard top fitted! Yes, I heard that it's on the Navara platform which makes it pretty solid if slightly unrefined compared to more expensive wagons...but does seem to have all the gadgets
In reply to butteredfrog: Big thirsty engine on those so not really suitable
 jayferg76 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús: That's a shame. To be honest it doesn't really look like a pick-up with the back on, and it's handy if you've got a load of muddy stuff to stick in the back as the rest of the car doesn't get all messed up. After taking the dogs out somewhere muddy it's easy to clean, 5 minutes with a jet wash at the garage and it's good as new.
Also handy for carting stuff about. I did six trips to the tip the other week with a load of garden waste. No messing about, just loaded it up, dumped it at the tip and a quick sweep out after.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...