UKC

scotland over new years

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anthonyh 28 Aug 2013
Hello

Im looking for idea thing to do in Scotland over new years, mainly going to be walking but some scrambling would be nice, we will be near fortwilliam for 9days have are thinking about hiring a car

Anthony
In reply to anthonyh:

As you are no doubt aware, Scotland at that time of year can be brilliant winter walking/climbing conditions or horizontal rain and gales. Be prepared to do anything really. One idea might be to walk in to a bothy and overnight there. Take plenty of Whiskey!

There's mountain biking in the forests at Nevis Range which should be doable in most weathers. I think there's a Go-ape style high level walkway there as well.

ALC
 eltankos 28 Aug 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
Whisky! No e.
 Fat Bumbly2 28 Aug 2013
In reply to eltankos: Perhaps he likes Bushmills or similar?
 Alan Taylor 28 Aug 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2: Beat me to it
Graeme G 28 Aug 2013
In reply to anthonyh:

Any bothy....always good crack on Hogmanay
 Joe G 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:
> (In reply to eltankos) Perhaps he likes Bushmills or similar?

Connemara's nice, peaty but quite sweet and subtle...

Why do English people often put an "s" on the end of "New Year"?
 Tom Last 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Joe G:
> (In reply to Fat Bumbly2)
> [...]

> Why do English people often put an "s" on the end of "New Year"?

Abbreviation of New Year['s] Eve. Or maybe he want to go for several New Years in a row? Can't say I'd blame him.
anthonyh 01 Sep 2013
In reply to anthonyh:
Anybody any other suggestions
ccmm 01 Sep 2013
In reply to anthonyh: keep an eye on the weather and have transport organised. Never spent Hogmanay in the fort but it might be a laugh. Bothies are good but very busy over the new year period - Christmas is much quieter.

There are loads of crap weather options in Lochaber. Glen Nevis, Ardmair, glen Coe and ardour are worth exploring on wild days.

Think alpine starts if you want to get big hill days done at that time of year.

Wiley Coyote2 01 Sep 2013
In reply to Joe G:
> (In reply to Fat Bumbly2)
> [...]
>
> Connemara's nice, peaty but quite sweet and subtle...
>
> Why do English people often put an "s" on the end of "New Year"?

As a rule we don't. It's yet another Americanism creeping in

estivoautumnal 13 Sep 2013
In reply to eltankos:
> (In reply to a lakeland climber)
> Whisky! No e.

He must be American with his use of new years, so maybe it is whiskey as well?

BigHairyIan 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to Joe G)
> [...]
>
> As a rule we don't. It's yet another Americanism creeping in

+ 1
 Joe G 13 Sep 2013
Thanks for the replies... but now I feel bad for steering the converstion off topic!

In reply to the initial question, if you have 9 days and have a car you can go to a lot of places and you can't predict the weather and conditions this far in advance. Northwest is good, Suilven on a cold crisp day is superb and a wander around the Stoer peninsular on a wild stormy day is better than sitting in a cafe in Fort William.
 John Workman 13 Sep 2013
In reply to anthonyh:
> Hello
>
> Im looking for idea thing to do in Scotland over new years, mainly going to be walking but some scrambling would be nice, we will be near fortwilliam for 9days have are thinking about hiring a car
>
> Anthony

If the weather is good and you hire a car then you have some of the best mountains in Britain at your doorstep to explore. Fifty miles west is some of the best coastal scenery in the world? Bothies are also another good suggestion. Next - there's an outside chance of downhill ski-ing at Nevis Range.There's also mountain biking. How about hiring a mountain guide to take you out climbing?

On Hogmanay - [New Years Eve] - there's a Ceilidh Dance in the Nevis Centre
and a follow up one on New Year's Day [I think]. There's not a hell of a lot to do in Fort William [lots of pubs 'though] - especially on New Year's day - as its a Public Holiday. We don't even have a cinema unfortunately but Inverness has lots of indoor stuff - 60 miles away. There's an indoor climbing wall at Kinlochleven [about 15 miles] with a large indoor ice wall. Check their website.

There's a local climbing club - you may be able to hook up with someone http://www.polldubhclub.org/

OK that's me done my bit for Fort William Tourist Information for today.

Joe G 13 Sep 2013
In reply to John Workman:

Good point about the Public Holiday bit, visitors to this fine country might not realise that we party so hard on Hogmany we require two days of Public Holidays to get over it, rather than just the one that most countries seem to be able to cope with!
 Milesy 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to Joe G)
> [...]
>
> As a rule we don't. It's yet another Americanism creeping in

No it isn't

It is New Year's with an apostrophe - possession for New Year's Eve, not plural as New Years

Where exactly is the Americanism?
estivoautumnal 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Milesy:

I think he means, as you well know, it's a phrase used by Americans. Or a word used by Americans. Americans as in people from North America. Specifically the USA.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...