UKC

Wood stove flue pipe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jon 08 Sep 2013
We've got an old Petit Godin wood burning stove that we installed when we bought the house 22 years ago. The existing flue that comes out of the back of the stove and then turns 90° and goes a metre up into the brick chimney is in a bad state now so I bought a smart new enamelled yesterday. The original was 125mm dia but the nearest I could get to replace it is 130mm which is just too loose at the stove joint to give a good seal. So I also bought a 125 > 130 adapter. Unfortunately the only way I can make this work is, instead of having male > female joints, to have female > male joints. Do I risk having smoke leaking out from the inverted joints? I've bought a fire proof mastic to glue everything together - would this be enough to seal the joint sufficiently? Can anyone suggest any other solutions before I start... Thanks.
 another_mark 08 Sep 2013
In reply to jon:
The joints should be so that anything running down the inside of the pipe stays inside.

ie male bit pointing down, female up. Bit dull I know, but sometimes the missionary position is the right way.
OP jon 08 Sep 2013
In reply to another_mark:

Ah, that explains why it's round that way and I can't change it! Thanks.
andymac 08 Sep 2013
In reply to jon:

Some fire cement for the joints as insurance also.

And some wonder wipes to clear up the mess.

Always remember the usefulness of wonder wipes.

Although,;

Never wipe your arse with them.

Stings a bit.
 browndog33 08 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac: I'm quite new to the wonder of wonder wipes (a fortnight in to my 300 qty tub!), I'll defo bear your wisdom in mind!
Mark.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...