UKC

New bike excitement...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
aligibb 11 Sep 2013
So after a few years and about 5000 miles on my trusty 25yr old steel bike I have done the deed and ordered a new bike... going carbon with a boardman team carbon and just a bit excited. can't wait to try it out on all the hills out here in the Alps next week.

How have others found a major upgrade, and how do I contain my excitement until next week??!!

PS I still love my steel bike, and will still ride it lots in springtime.
 Howardw1968 11 Sep 2013
In reply to aligibb:
You wont be able too and will post on forums and bore your mates rigid
Your social media profiles will be covered in posts suchas 6 days 22 hours 7 minutes 8 seconds and tomorrow just sayin.

Your getting a new bike enjoy being excited about it
 quirky 11 Sep 2013
In reply to aligibb: Put a post on "steel bike for sale" now and be done with it..you are only kidding yourself otherwise!! enjoy
 Toby_W 11 Sep 2013
In reply to quirky: Sell one of your bikes......... BURN HIM.

I'm just struggling for words, you clean it lovingly and even if you don't ever ride it again it makes your house or garage a prettier and happier place.

N+ (PLUS) 1

Cheers

Toby
 Strachan 12 Sep 2013
In reply to aligibb:
Just upgraded from a heavily used 3 year old Allez, to a full carbon BH bike (RC1 for anyone interested), and the difference is unbelievable. You should be very excited. The Allez is now my commuting (to uni)/ winter bike. As for containing your excitement; don't look at the website/ catalogue/ google image search/ read reviews. These things will all make the wait unbearable!
estivoautumnal 12 Sep 2013
In reply to aligibb:

I got a new bike last year. First new bike for 6 years. In all honesty I couldn't get too excited about it. I assembled it and put it in the garage for about a week before I used it.

On week 2 I took it on a cycling holiday in France. On the bus from the airport the nice shiny new frame got scraped quite badly. More gouges than scrapes. Oh well, saved me about worrying about the paintwork.

It's just been on a 4 week tour of Eastern Europe and the Slovenian Alps and I just treat it as a means of transport.

Heathen you may cry. But it really is just some metals, rubber and carbon.
Removed User 12 Sep 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal:
> (In reply to aligibb)
>
>>> Heathen you may cry. But it really is just some metals, rubber and carbon.

You clearly have no soul

muttley_109 12 Sep 2013
In reply to aligibb:

I've just ordered a shiny New giant TCX SLR2. Giant won't have them from the factory until the 23rd. I'm a little eexcited!
 david14 12 Sep 2013
In reply to aligibb: last month ordered a Trek Domane 5.9 to replace my 12 y/o, built at the end of the street, steel framed, Corrado. My new steed, when i take delivery early December, will confirm my status as a MAMIL. All i've to do now, other than wait, is to tell the wife!
aligibb 12 Sep 2013
In reply to david14:

Haha yes that bit is quite tricky! After I ordered mine I had to explain why the bank was calling me urgently as part of their fraud prevention screenings, as there had been some unusually large transactions on my account... ooops!

Very nice, you've taken an even bigger leap than I have!

Luckily I won't be a MAMIL as am not male, and still have a while til middle aged.
 Howardw1968 12 Sep 2013
In reply to david14:
> when i take delivery early December, will confirm my status as a MAMIL. All i've to do now, other than wait, is to tell the wife!

I hope you live long enough to take delivery.........

waldenmatt 12 Sep 2013
In reply to aligibb: Thank you thank you for reminding me to indulge in some bike pr0n perusal this morning. Now v looking forward to my plotted upgrade to proper road equipment next spring...

re selling on / retiring the old hardware that is indeed sacrilege (sp?).
re max ownership I don't totally agree with rule 12, which is N+1 or S-1.
In my case it is likely to be S-1 until S is inevitably reached at which point N+1 applies ad infinitum. happy days.
f
 Ricardo 12 Sep 2013
In reply to aligibb: I reckon you'll be flying on the new steed. I reckon about 5% faster. Enjoy.
needvert 12 Sep 2013
In reply to aligibb:

Upgraded yesterday to a set of XT brakes, 180mm rotors. Looking forward to a long descent
rmt 13 Sep 2013
In reply to needvert:
> (In reply to aligibb)
>
> Upgraded yesterday to a set of XT brakes, 180mm rotors. Looking forward to a long descent

Good decision - you won't be disappointed!
aligibb 16 Sep 2013
In reply to aligibb:

it has arrived!!! v excited but its pissing it down so ride has been postponed til tomorrow. gutted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...