UKC

cam's or nuts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coreybennett 02 Oct 2013
I've been stuck between the decision of cam's or nuts? I'm still trying to decide which piece of gear to buy, any advice?
 The Norris 02 Oct 2013
In reply to coreybennett:

I dont think its a 'one or the other' decision. Nuts are generally the basis of your rack, cams are nice to have in addition, but not essential.

If you dont have anything at all, start with nuts, and add cams later.
andyathome 02 Oct 2013
Nuts.

If you are talking about the first thing you buy.
 cuppatea 02 Oct 2013

An interesting post! Nuts is the obvious answer, but a little too obvious.

Enthusiasm and a profile get you 4/10
In reply to coreybennett: Both or if you can't afford both, in the words of Mr T 'get some nutz'!
 mattrm 02 Oct 2013

Nuts. Simples. You can protect most routes with nuts only. Cams are nice, but I often don't place any on a route (I mostly climb limestone tho).
 wilkie14c 02 Oct 2013
most routes you'll ever climb were put up before cams. Nuts are a priority and the mainstay of your rack.
 Aigen 02 Oct 2013
In reply to coreybennett: troll
 cuppatea 02 Oct 2013
In reply to Aigen:

I thought so too. A strange choice of subject for a troll post though, a double bluff?
Profile suggests onsight lead of an E1 5b..
 jimjimjim 02 Oct 2013
In reply to coreybennett: if in doubt leave it out '''''''''''''!!!!!
 Trangia 02 Oct 2013

Cam's what?
 Blue Straggler 02 Oct 2013

Quickdraws.
needvert 02 Oct 2013

If I could only have cams or nuts... I'd pick cams.

But a cam can cost and weigh as much as a set of nuts, so nuts definitely have the weight and cost advantage.
woody0606 02 Oct 2013
In reply to needvert:

> If I could only have cams or nuts... I'd pick cams.

What??? Really? On what basis?
needvert 03 Oct 2013

Parallel sided cracks.

Also quicker to place and clean, fits in with my aid ambitions.

I live in a different part of the world, around me is mostly coarse granite and sandstone (sometimes has more in common with sand than stone, but the weak stuff tends to be bolted).

If everyone here is saying nuts, then that's probably the best option. But...If your partners are already endowed with plenty of nuts, a set of cams may be rather welcome.

I don't think should be an or decision. I think both is best, but I imagine you're constrained by money in which case nuts give you more pro per dollar.

I find climbing gear easy to cost justify, if having a set of X is going to make me hitting the ground less likely, I get it. Medical bills quickly overtake the cost of climbing gear.
OP coreybennett 03 Oct 2013
In reply to cuppatea: i've been using my friends gear mostly for a long period of time with my rack, and i've decided to expand it with cams since im fine with nuts and yes it was an onsight E1 5b.
 cuppatea 03 Oct 2013

Then I offer my apologies though the OP did seem a bit of a silly question...

Best answer might be "buy what you need to supplement you and your partner's rack based on the type of rock/routes you climb"

A set of basic Rocks is about the price of one cam give or take the cost of a loaf of bread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...