UKC

bouldering wall near newcastle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cliff shasby 17 Nov 2013
Can anybody advise a good bouldering wall near newcastle,i'll be staying in a place called ponteland for a couple of weeks so somewhere easy to get to would be good..

cheers cliff....
 geordiepie 17 Nov 2013
In reply to cliff shasby:

Climb Newcastle in Byker - about a 30 min drive from Ponteland.

If you can get outdoors Shaftoe crags is 10 mins up the road from where you're staying
OP cliff shasby 18 Nov 2013
In reply to geordiepie: thanks for that,i'll be back home for the weekends so cant make it to the crag but would like to get to a wall a couple of times a week,is that byker as in byker grove..?
 deepsoup 18 Nov 2013
That's the one.
It's a quirky wall in an old former swimming pool with a nice atmosphere and really good problems.
In reply to cliff shasby: I'd definately suggest going to Byker.

If you are unsure about driving, then you are not too far away from Newcastle Airport, get on a metro from there to Monument, then come up the stairs and you will notice another set to your left, these go down the the other platform where you can go the 2 stops to Byker.

Once you come out of the station at Byker, turn right (there is a bridge over the road) walk under the archway formed by the "lovely" flats which are there, turn right, and keep going until you see the door (there are some benches outside).

Steve
 ti_pin_man 18 Nov 2013

+1 for climb newcastle - was there this weekend and other posters are right, they set some really interesting problems, puzzling but fun and lots in the mid grades but also some easy circuits and hard circuits to keep you improving. nice bunch working there. it does seem in a weird spot within the byker wall but once your on the problems having fun you wont care and Ant and Dec are in Oz ! No Byker Grooooove.
 ti_pin_man 18 Nov 2013
p.s. take some long sleeve warm up gear as in the winter it can be cold, once you do a few climbs you'll be down to a tee but initially it can feel cold.
OP cliff shasby 18 Nov 2013
In reply to ti_pin_man: cheers,im gonna have a look tues and thurs..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...