UKC

Cut Throat Razor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 28 Nov 2013
Anyone else have one of these? Girlfriend bought me one for my birthday.

Damn it's pretty hard to get used to them. It's a steep learning curve, and a blood sport at the moment! On my maybe 5th or 6th shave and slowly getting it. Still finishing off with a Gillette though. Any tips from UKC, or do I need to stop being so old fashioned!?
 Chambers 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

A well-stropped cut-throat will give you a far better shave than anything else available...but it takes time and practice. Incidentally, you're better off practising on someone else's body. Decent shaving soap and brush is key, as is a steady hand. Word to the wise: do not attempt to shave anyone's pubes after a beer or two.
 Thrudge 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

Haven't used one for ages, but when I did I got great results (after months of trainee blood loss) by shaving with a safety razor then going over again with the straight razor. It looks like the safety razor leaves nothing behind, but the straight razor will take off a surprising amount that you just can't see on your face. But you can feel it coming off, and you can see it on the blade.
 Thrudge 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

Cat eye call 'em. Call 'em Steppin' Razor.

A prize for whoever gets the quote.
 Blue Straggler 28 Nov 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Neuromancer (I just read it 3 weeks ago)
 Chambers 28 Nov 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Beat me to it. William Gibson. Revolutionary mofo. A word further on sharp blades of all kinds. Lightness of touch is crucial.
 Kimono 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

They're great....when you're paying someone else to use them on you.
Takes a little confidence but i have always loved my shaves when in india
 Ashley 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

Aye, it's worth persevering with. I started by just shaving the easy bits of my face with a cut throat (cheeks, neck) and doing the rest with a safety razor, build up your skill and confidence before tackling the harder bits (jaw line).

One word of caution, if you do drop your straight razor, don't try to catch it, even if you catch it by the handle the blade still folds down onto your hand...
 jkarran 28 Nov 2013
In reply to Ashley:

> One word of caution, if you do drop your straight razor, don't try to catch it, even if you catch it by the handle the blade still folds down onto your hand...

Same is true of soldering irons and I *never* remember in time
jk
 daWalt 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

yea, I too once tried to be free from the evil clutches of the multi-blade corporations; who shall obviously remain nameless. (t.b.h more often than not it’s just too time consuming to go cut-throat)

It makes a massive difference if you give your hirsute areas a good long soak in warm water beforehand, softens things up nice (same with disposables really).
Shaving after getting out of the shower works well for me.

Granted it's a slightly different technique, can't do long sweeping strokes with the blade, more lots of short stokes across the same area.
But it really shouldn’t be traumatic; just don't let the thing move across skin anything other than at 90deg across the blade.
Start with the grain, finish against.
 Thrudge 28 Nov 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Congratulations, sir. Your prize is to read "Mona Lisa Overdrive" next. You won't be disappointed.
Simon Wells 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

Can anyone recommend a good beginners cut throat razor?

From woodworking hand tools such as chisels I have found that price and quality are not always linked! For example some experts like Paul Sellers recommend Aldi chisels over other brands!

I have a leather strop and oil stones for my chisels, so sharpening is covered just not sure what blade to get?

Sharp 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

Used to use one for a few years, until I caught a glimpse of how long life is, thought "f*ck doing this every day" and grew a beard.

As others have said, make life easier for yourself to begin with, shave the night before, gently with a normal razor so when you're practicing you're just cutting through short soft hair. Soften your face up with warm water, wash, oil and put good quality shaving soap on with a brush. Depending on what razor you got and where from it might need sharpening on a really fine wet stone, strop it regularly, when you're learning you wont be able to get away with anything other than perfection and if everything isn't right you'll end up cutting yourself and jacking it in.

If you haven't already then go and get a wet shave at one or two decent barbers that use straight razors. Nothing more valuable than seeing someone else do it on you.
 ByEek 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

I recently got a tonne of shaving gear for my birthday but opted for the double edged safety razor. Still lethal and still tricky to master but without the imminent sense of death hanging over you every time you pick it up.

What I do really like though is the excellent badger brush (only the very best is worthy apparently) and shaving cream I also got. They make what used to be a routine chore into a now weekly ritual that should have time thrown at it.
 jasonC abroad 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

Used one for quite a while now, as others have said make sure your face is warmed up, after the shower or bath etc. I've never really cut myself with a cut-throat, though I often did with cheaper disposables, they are not as dangerous as people seem to think.

My top tip is not to keep the razor in the bathroom, always dry it and remove it otherwise it will get rusty like mine has.

Jason
 ByEek 28 Nov 2013
In reply to jasonC abroad:

Good tips there. Of course you could always try this:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI&
 woolsack 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

I got all enthusiastic for a while but mine sits unloved in the drawer as it seems quite a lot of faff, especially achieving a nice edge on the blade which involved various grades of honing stones finishing with one with the smoothness of glass.
This thread may persuade me to get it out and have another go
 Wallm0nkey 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

I used mine for about a year and have been intending to get it back out as it does give a lovely shave. Main reason I stopped was I had a bit less time so switched to a beard trimmer and just kept it short as opposed to shaved.
Took a little getting used to but only really cut myself once! I used my right hand all over but using both hands seems to be the norm? As said after a shower and decent soap and brush is ideal.
 mike123 28 Nov 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:
as above always loved getting a shave in india and nepal. by far the best being in south india, where the works takes about half an hour, with various potions , lotions and a head massage. nothing comes close, so to speak. i used to use one of those indian jobs that the barbers use, looks like a cut throat, but uses half a razor blade held in a clasp. i tried the real thing but could never get it as sharp so gave it away. this thread has made me think about digging it out again.
 mike123 28 Nov 2013
In reply to mike123:
just wandered over to fleas at bay and ordered one. £3.75 .
item number 190790265646.
 buzby 28 Nov 2013
In reply to ByEek:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI&

Now that's a good advert,
 Blue Straggler 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor:

I will get on the Case.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...